Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-23 16:52:01

nlc

New happy user of XFCE

Hi all, I am new here !

I bought a laptop to my wife for Christmas, and deleted micro$oft seven to install Opensuse. What a big deception when I discovered gnome 3 !! Very complex to do easy thing, incredible. I am very very disappointed because I was using gnome for many year on my laptop (actually with Mandriva 2010), since KDE become complicated too.

So I tried KDE4, to see if it's usable or not, and the answer is definively no. It's beautiful, it's sure, but that's all.

Thus I was very annoyed because I was asking myself what will be my next configuration on my future laptop, or future installation on my actual laptop !!! I spend 10h a day on my laptop, I need something sober, fast and effective.

Just in case I tried opensuse with xfce on my wife's laptop and what a surprise, exactly what I am looking for ! It look like gnome 2, I am very happy !!! Now I know what will be my future desktop manager on my next installation.

It miss just one thing, but I will post in the good section, it's the ability to change the order of applications on the task bar with drag and drop. It is possible with gnome 2 and it's a very very usefull functionality, to reorder the application in the order as we like to have them. So we can found them quickly when we need to switch on it, when there is a lot of open application in the task bar.

Long life to XFCE, and stay light and easy to use/configure !

Regards
Cyril HAENEL (from french, sorry for my imperfect english !!)

Last edited by nlc (2012-01-23 16:53:42)

#2 2012-01-24 14:19:45

secipolla

Re: New happy user of XFCE

nlc wrote:

It miss just one thing, but I will post in the good section, it's the ability to change the order of applications on the task bar with drag and drop. It is possible with gnome 2 and it's a very very usefull functionality, to reorder the application in the order as we like to have them. So we can found them quickly when we need to switch on it, when there is a lot of open application in the task bar.

You can do it by right-clicking the window buttons > Properties
tY2ZmMg

#3 2012-01-24 14:34:13

nlc

Oh my god !! Thus this window manager is perfect and will be mine on my future laptop or new installation !!! I try this this evening on my wifes's laptop !!!

#4 2012-01-24 18:47:06

Adjoint

Bienvenue

#5 2012-01-24 21:30:02

nlc

Adjoint wrote:

Bienvenue

Merci !

secipolla wrote:

You can do it by right-clicking the window buttons > Properties

Yesssss ! It works, really really great !! XFCE become my prefered desktop manager !!!!!

Last edited by nlc (2012-01-24 21:30:20)

#6 2012-01-27 06:20:55

kbd47

Xfce has become my desktop of choice as well. LXDE is missing too many features for me, Gnome and KDE are too bloated, but as in the story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears--Xfce is just right :-)
KBD47

Board footer