Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-10-29 01:44:29

Mellowbob

[Solved] Set gmail as default mail program?

Is there a way to set gmail as my default mail program?

#2 2011-10-29 07:54:47

angstrom

Re: [Solved] Set gmail as default mail program?

Gmail is more "where" you get mail from (yahoo, hotmail, ...) more than a program (kmail, thunderbird, ...). So it will depend on your program mail to make it fetch mails on gmail.
May be you are asking how to configure link like mailto:mailme@gmail.com to open gmail.com ? I don't know :-(

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2011-10-29 12:44:48

jeromeg
Website

Hello,

A quick Google search produces thousands of results. For example, you can use the script available here: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/ubuntu/s … in-ubuntu/

Cheers,

Jérôme

#4 2011-10-29 18:34:31

Mellowbob

Okay ... I should be more specific. Sorry.

I'm viewing a PDF using evince. It has mailto links. If I click on the link I get a red bar at the top of evince (Document Viewer) with the useful message "Unable to open external link .. failed to execute child process exo-open, permission denied".

So, I'm thinking that somewhere evince has been configured to use exo-open. I've checked with gconf & dconf and grep my DOT files ... can't find anything relevant.

I've also gone into the preferred applications in xfwm4 and set my preferred mailer to /home/bob/bin/open_mail.sh %s ... that's a oneliner to open firefox. BTW, running open_mail.sh from a terminal works just fine ... opens a mail edit page in firefox/gmail.

I think this might be an evince issue ... just tried with my less-than-favorite pdf reader, acroread, and it does work.

So, any suggestions for setting up evince? I think the option is buried somewhere in the gnome stuff smile

Thanks.

#5 2011-10-30 08:46:29

jeromeg
Website

Googling your error message suggests it might be linked to apparmor if you are using *ubuntu, I think it would be easier for you to report this to your distro's bug tracker as this does not seem to be an Xfce issue.

Cheers,

Jérôme

#6 2012-01-23 18:56:25

Mellowbob

Just in case anyone else is having this problem. Yes, it's an apparmor issue. Fix is pretty simple:

From a terminal:

bob$ sudo aa-complain
[sudo] password for bob:
Please enter the program to switch to complain mode: evince
Setting /etc/apparmor.d/usr.bin.evince to complain mode.

And it works just fine!

Board footer