I recently switched from Gnome to XFCE 4.8 on a Debian Wheezy. With Gnome, I have a Pidgin SIPE plugin Office Communicator account that worked pretty well. After switching to XFCE (and uninstalling Gnome), this account gets disconnected with a Write Error message every 2-3 minutes. Is anyone aware of any networking changes between these two desktops? I was under the impression that the desktop environment was at a much higher level...
In the debug logs, there is this message
GLib: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
Pidgin 2.10.1 (libpurple 2.10.1)
SIPE/Office Communicator info:
ID String: prpl-sipe
I can post the debug logs if that will help.
In November, I installed XFCE on my Ubuntu 11.10 system, and I have been using pidgin/sipe to connect to my company's MS Office Communicator without any problems.
However, today, I noticed the same problem described here. Every few minutes, I get "write error". It reconnects by itself. What's special about today? I did do an "apt-get dist-upgrade" this morning, and that pulled in a new kernel (3.0.0-15) and a handful of other updates. Looking now, I see that it was firefox, chromium and vino... nothing that grabs my attention.
I do not know where to find the pidgin/sipe logs.
I still haven't found the anwser, but here's how you can get more info.
In the Pidgin menu, you have Help > Debug Window which will output some messages. Then you can also launch Pidgin from the terminal with the -d option to get more different messages.
One error I see often in the Debug Window is this one:
(14:45:03) GLib: g_hash_table_lookup: assertion `hash_table != NULL' failed
Then I get this one in the terminal:
(10:08:22) sipe: Read error (10:08:22) connection: Connection error on 0x7f9eea6a15a0 (reason: 0 description: Read error) (10:08:22) sipe: Server has disconnected (10:08:22) account: Disconnecting account firstname.lastname@example.org,blah (0x7f9ee9d8cb60) (10:08:22) connection: Disconnecting connection 0x7f9eea6a15a0 (10:08:22) connection: Deactivating keepalive.
Hey, guess what I just noticed!
I have two copies of pidgin running. Apparently, they were fighting over the connection to MSOC.