Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-02-19 16:35:15

dubois

Hello

Just a note to say hello and to avoid a deleted account.  I've been using Debian and Xfce for about four years now, maybe longer.  I have to say that, for me, they are the perfect combination between stablity and lightness of resources.  Sometimes I have a lot to say and sometime I don't.  Today is one of the latter.  big_smile

#2 2012-03-20 10:21:20

jens

Re: Hello

guess who...? wink
i just installed xfce on top of my crunchbang and really love it !

#3 2012-03-22 17:51:35

gxagar

Debian and XFCE are getting to be a very popular combination.  It's what I'm transitioning to.

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#4 2012-03-22 22:05:47

gnome_refugee

Popular for a reason IMO: nice combination of fast, easily configurable and the legendary Debian 'it just works' stability. I installed Linux Mint 12 Gnome on a friend's PC recently and helped him tweak it. I kept thinking '...He doesn't need this...doesn't need that...why is this a default?...Xfce would be so much easier'

#5 2014-11-16 21:08:26

dubois

It's been so long since I've posted and said anything more than hello that I feel like a new guy starting all over again.  Like about two and a half years.  yikes

Still using xfce since 2007 - spent a bit of time over at crunchbang forum with an xfce-openbox mix and now in and out at openSUSE with either xfce or MATE.  Both nice.  Speaking of nice it's 25°F outside which is 25 times warmer than it was on Monday and Tuesday.  Think I'll poke my head outside.  Hope to be about the forums a bit more now...  wink

#6 2014-11-16 21:47:16

gnome_refugee

Hi, dubois.

Good to see you sticking with Xfce. But it must be seriously cold in Montana. If it's 25F, that's 269K, and if 25F is 25 times warmer than it's been, than Montana was 18K, or -255C, or -427F smile

#7 2014-11-17 01:58:17

dubois

I told you it was cold!  wink

This is my second winter here, um, my second winter anywhere in 35 years as it didn't get too cold too often in Austin, Texas.  Oh, we'd get a norther once in a while and it'd snow about a half inch every eleven years and sometimes there'd be sleet during a summer thunderstorm but these past few days of 0°F and 20-30 mph wind made for skin-biting cold that I'm not used to.  So gnome_refugee my sloppy weather reporting was taken seriously and it seems the joke's on me!  Thanks for the hearty laugh - I needed it!  lol lol

And speaking of sticking with xfce: I had an original model ASUS 701 4G and as soon as I figured out how to rid it of that awful default Fisher-Price interface I replaced it with xfce back in 2007 and never looked back.

See you and the others around the forums...

#8 2014-11-17 07:14:45

gnome_refugee

@dubois

Interesting you like MATE as well, since those are the 2 desktops in our house - me on Xfce, my wife on MATE, both over Debian stable. I also use Openbox as a desktop, sort of, on a netbook running CrunchBang with a minimal tint2 panel. It works for me when I'm travelling, but at home I need my customised Xfce with all its gnome_refugee crotchets and choices.

The latest crotchet (ca 18 months ago) was a way to remember all my keyboard shortcut launchers (16 of them). I wrote them on the wall, so to speak. My desktop background is a plain-colour PNG with the launcher instructions (like 'super+t     terminal') actually written on the image in faintly contrasting colour.

#9 2014-11-17 13:39:34

dubois

gnome_refugee wrote:

@dubois

Interesting you like MATE as well, since those are the 2 desktops in our house - me on Xfce, my wife on MATE, both over Debian stable. I also use Openbox as a desktop, sort of, on a netbook running CrunchBang with a minimal tint2 panel. It works for me when I'm travelling, but at home I need my customised Xfce with all its gnome_refugee crotchets and choices.

The latest crotchet (ca 18 months ago) was a way to remember all my keyboard shortcut launchers (16 of them). I wrote them on the wall, so to speak. My desktop background is a plain-colour PNG with the launcher instructions (like 'super+t     terminal') actually written on the image in faintly contrasting colour.

Did you set up your reminder cheat sheet directly on your wallpaper or did you use conky to do it?  I've played with conky a bit but no where near like what some of the "guys"  are doing over at crunchbang using openbox.  They use the same @user name like you just did. 

Here http://crunchbang.org/forums/ you can poke around at your leisure if you haven't already do so.  Me?  More coffee.  Now.  big_smile

#10 2014-11-17 19:11:00

gnome_refugee

@dubois

Yes, I got the idea for shortcuts-written-on-desktop from the very nice conky setup on CrunchBang Waldorf. But I don't like running conky on my otherwise minimal Xfce desktop, so I use the image trick instead.

Board footer