Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-06 13:49:47

nankura

The Missing Piece

Hey guys

Ok basically. i have to say im abit dissapointed. XFCE is a great desktop environement generally in features. setup. themes, and the ability to adjust, addon, and create just like the old gnome 2 setups

Its a great alternative to gnome 2 besides one set back. now i dont know about others, but from what ive read. and recieved replys about in the bug reports section of xfce. is that this is a reoccurring issue

Anyway. the only reason i dont use XFCE. is because of the NVIDIA tear issue and XFCE's inbuilt compositing manager not supporting sync to vblank built in and with no anti tear/opengl calling

Yeah sure you could use a seperate manager for compositing. but i think by now we all know most of the 3rd party managers are either resource hogs or full of bugs. KDE with kwin, gnome 3 with mutter, and cinnamon with there spin and even E17 have all added opengl calling support and VSYNC in built with there compositing to avoid tearing with nvidia cards and drivers

I really think its time XFCE catchon.

Sorry, just my 2 cents. i love the desktop. but its been reported that this problem has persisted for over 3 years now. and theres been no indication of it ever been fixed.

#2 2012-03-06 21:06:41

demosthenese

Re: The Missing Piece

One of the problems with this sort of bug is its hardware dependency. Those with the skills and time to fix the bug may well not have access to the hardware necessary to demonstrate it. :-( FWIW I have NVidia graphics with the proprietary driver and have never seen any tearing with Xfce's compositing - so its not a bug that will be exhibited with all NVidia cards. Of course it might still be worth submitting a bug report.

#3 2012-03-07 00:15:49

nankura

Re: The Missing Piece

its only mainly the Verne range. the 200-400 series cards that it appears with, and i did submit a bug report in which multiple people including an xfce developer reported having the exact same issues with the same cards and posted on multiple forums, you can check my post history to see some of it. and its been pretty much ignored

http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6176

heres some posts i made. the bug report i made was deleted after a certain time of no replys.

But regardless. yes its not a "BUG". its a matter of the fact that the XFCE compositing manager, admittedly by the developers does not call on opengl to display compositing effects, and thats where the incompability and errors appear with specific grades of nvidia cards. mines a GTX 460 SE, and ive seen multiple reports over the past 5 years of this issue

And ontop of that. as i said, every other DE and compositing manager. even compiz, have a setting for sync to vblank, and openGL calling. because they also suffered the same issue, and found out about it, and provided a fix. E17 an extremely unpopular DE has a fix for it.

its very well established with multiple reports that this is a known problem with a fix that every other DE and distro has caught onto. that the compositer needs to call on opengl and sync to vblank to as the display driver for compositing.

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7237#c11 here in page 2 tomasx admits to the problem been because the compositing manager calls on XRender and that creates the issue. its a shock that in so many years , this hasnt been fixed.

Last edited by nankura (2012-03-07 00:29:56)

Board footer