Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-02 16:45:04

Walter Dnes

Is there a Midori-specific mailing list or forum?

Hi all. I'm running Gentoo linux with ICEWM as my WM. I'm very interested in Midori, not because it's so much more than Firefox, but rather because it's so much less than Firefox, if you get my drift. I'm not a C programmer or a developer, but I know my away around Gentoo, bash scripts, etc. I've keyworded midori-0.4.3 to build that version, even though it isn't officially stable on Gentoo. The problems below also happen with the stable 0.4.2 ebuild.

I've got a couple of questions about Midori...

1) Is it possible to bundle the necessary icons, and dump them into a directory, without pulling in all 153 megabytes (after uncompression) of the Faenza theme icons?  I tried extracting icons from the Faenza tarball, and placing them on my system. It didn't work.

2) Even for Gentoo, my system is on the spartan side, with me limiting the libraries on the system. I've even got mdev in place of udev, because I don't feel like repartitioning my hard drive at the behest of a Redhat employee. I think I may be missing a dependancy somewhere, or maybe a dependancy of a dependancy. E.g. what dependancies are assumed for GLib, GTK+, WebkitGTK+, libXML2, libsoup, sqlite, and Vala? If something is specifically required, I can post a Gentoo bug to update the Midori ebuild to pull in the required dependancies. Here is a sample of the error messages I get when starting Midori from xterm...

(midori:20228): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-directory' for stock: Icon 'gtk-directory' not present in theme

(midori:20228): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(midori:20228): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_theming_engine_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed

(midori:20228): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(midori:20228): Gtk-WARNING **: Error loading theme icon 'gtk-directory' for stock: Icon 'gtk-directory' not present in theme

(midori:20228): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_unref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

(midori:20228): Gtk-CRITICAL **: gtk_theming_engine_render_icon_pixbuf: assertion `base_pixbuf != NULL' failed

(midori:20228): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: g_object_ref: assertion `G_IS_OBJECT (object)' failed

#2 2012-03-02 17:52:20

secipolla

Re: Is there a Midori-specific mailing list or forum?

Hi. About the icons, if you managed to extract all the needed icons an replace (better still, recreate a directory tree in ~/.icons) the ones in the theme you're using it would work. But I think it's easier to simply use Faenza directly.
Maybe you could delete the 'scalable' directories and see if it still works.
Midori, and all webkit browsers that don't modify the vanilla webkit engine (this wording is a complete guess of mine as I'm not a programmer), like xxxterm for instance, crash almost everywhere here in Debian sid (libwebkitgtk-1.0 1.6.3, but happened already with earlier versions) so its current version is plain simply unusable (it can't even open launchpad.net, its support page).
The mentioned page is launchpad.net/midori but since it's almost a one-man work, if you need any specific advice you could write to Christian Dwyan, the developer.

#3 2012-03-04 01:41:28

Walter Dnes

I tried extracting Faenza to ~/.icons, but it doesn't help. Are there detailed instructions anywhere? Remember that I'm running a WM, not a DE.

Actually Midori 0.4.2 runs OK for about 45 minutes before crashing on my machine... 32-bit Gentoo linux with ICEWM window manager. I don't run desktops, I run applications.

I'm typing this message on Midori. Another tab has Live365.com internet radio, and a 3rd tab has launchpad.net/midori proprerly open.

I tried Midori 0.4.3 but backed off to 0.4.2 because...
1) Flash doesn't work with 0.4.3 (no internet radio or hockey games on NHL GameCenter Live)
2) Significantly more error messages spitting out

Last edited by Walter Dnes (2012-03-04 01:48:22)

#4 2012-03-04 02:36:00

Jristz

try using this dependencies: libnotify  libxss  hicolor-icon-theme  desktop-file-utils libwebkit  libunique  openssh
I build midori-git (against gtk2) form me work in my Arch box

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

#5 2012-03-04 04:12:58

Walter Dnes

The Gentoo ebuild for Midori only has flags "-libnotify -unique -doc -gnome -nls". Setting "libnotify" and "unique" wants to pull in an additional dozen packages... ouch!

The most recent update indicates that 0.4.3 is stable. Different versions on my desktop and netbook; fun, fun, fun.

#6 2012-03-04 14:46:46

secipolla

You need to select Faenza as the icon theme to use.
For GTK 2.0, add ~/.gtkrc-2.0 with

gtk-icon-theme-name="Faenza"

http://linux.byexamples.com/archives/23 … ktop-user/
Or use some app like lxappearance.

Last edited by secipolla (2012-03-04 14:47:12)

#7 2012-03-14 06:03:31

Walter Dnes

Hi again. The latest Gentoo ebuild for Midori 0.4.3 has greatly improved things. It pulls in the Gnome-Icon theme, and the theme naming engine. With the icons+theme being present, the constant stream of error messages has disappeared, and Midori is stable. Love it.

There's one feature from Firefox that I miss. I'm running ICEWM under Gentoo linux. No flamewars please. The window title on Firefox updates dynamically, which Midori doesn't do. E.g. when I'm listening to Live365 internet radio, it displays the current song and artist. When I minimize the Firefox window, I can hover the cursor over the ICEWM panel at the bottom of the page, and the window title appears, i.e. the current song and artist. With Midori, I get "Blank Page", i.e. my startup page. Can this be enabled in Midori?

#8 2012-03-18 16:07:46

Jristz

for build midori againt the gtk2 you need add
configure --disable-gtk3
thjis force a gtk2 build AND remmember flash is a gtk2/qt4-only
this solve the flash problem for versions more than 0.4.3

XFCE :: Arch Linux
:: AMD E-300 APU with Radeon(tm) HD Graphics @ 1300 MHz
:: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Wrestler [Radeon HD 6310]
:: LED with aspect ration of 16:9 in 14.0'' (1366x768) [Radeon driver]

Board footer