Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-12 13:41:33

bubblebobble

Super Hello :)

Hi there,
this is my first post, I am another happy refugee from Unity/Gnome3 which I found a total disaster of both usability and productivity, it seems developers playing only with tablets.

I have been using Linux since 2008 and Xubuntu is now running at my office, at home on my desktop, netbook and notebook plus soon I will convert the two desktops of my parents (stuck now to Gnome2/Ubuntu 10.10) to Xubuntu 12.04.

A big thank you to all the developers, so this is my first Hello to XFCE, XFCE for President!

#2 2012-03-18 14:52:03

rayandrews

Re: Super Hello :)

bubble,

I've been trying to figure out why it is that all the GUI devs have gone crazy and maybe you have the answer -- they are only thinking about tablets.  It seems to me that a desktop and a tablet are so different that these devs should fork their work, one fork for each. So far, on all the forums I visit, I have found exactly one guy who likes Gnome 3 and dozens of guys who hate it.  Maybe it's great on a tablet, but it sux on the desktop, it seems.  I could never get it to work at all with dual monitors.

#3 2012-03-19 05:09:04

gxagar

Re: Super Hello :)

Welcome BB,

I cannot check out Gnome3 cuz none of my machines have the horsepower to run it, except in compatability mode, and I'm incompatable with that.  So, It's XFCE, LXDE, or MATE.  WMs are good but I'm a DE kind of guy.  So far, XFCE is in the lead cuz of its maturity and Features.  LXDE is Good, but I prefer a different style of Window Management.  MATE will be Great someday when Its ready for PrimeTime, but still needs work, with which I'm helping.

C'ya 'round the DeskTop,

G

Last edited by gxagar (2012-03-19 16:25:26)

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

Board footer