Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-19 22:33:52

dougchug

How Does Control Config Work?

Everywhere I turn, there is no documentation on key aspects of GNU/Linux. Don't people know how to communicate, which first means knowing what to communicate?!

To make a long story short:
How does the spreadout crazy-normalized (DB parlance) configuration work and where is the documentation?!

To make a long story more realistic for you the gentle reader:
I have a f-ing Sony Vaio S Series that may not be well supported in Linux because Sony is not considerate. I can't get the high-performance graphics to work (radeon driver, segmentation fault) and so I am stuck with the intel chipset that apparently does not support a virtual desktop size specification. If I use xorg.conf or else xrandr to add 16:9 resolutions that fit the physical screen unlike the garbage defaults not to include the native resolution that is very tiny to work with, the Xfce display control does not actually change the resolution to modes added by me. Fine. After getting lucky with my google doc I find that I need the -d option necessarily to get xrandr to work at all, not as advertised, and I need to use xrandr in x terminal inside the desktop environment to change to a lower resolution, but I loose pixel area to work with which is the point of specifying Virtual 1920 1080 in xorg.conf.

So I can edit on a user by user basis the buttons on the toolbar, but not the default menu and I guess a custom one as well. So I get lxmed the LXMenuEditor and it does not even allow me to reorder the items I add so I have to add everything in order! If I try to run alsamixer (yes I added the plugin mixer but I want control and choice) with exo-open --launcher TerminalEmulator -x alsamixer the whole X display freezes, nice. So after deleting the .config directory and then anyway having to reboot I use terminal -x alsamixer, fine. I'd like to add some top level default menu items (buttons) for all users on my laptop (root and regular and guest if I decide) to invoke xrandr -d :0.0 --output LVDS1 --mode <myaddedmode>. All the friggin config info is all over the place! What is the complete list of where I can find the config stuff and which stuff is where?, duh!

The top-level skeleton for the menu is /etc/xdg/menus/xfce-applications.menu, but the non-skeletal is everywhere else. So where do I as root or admin put a .desktop file with my <Filename>some_reso.desktop</Filename> and I suppose I can lift or copy the .desktop file from making buttons on the taskbar but geez, it's like I should go to stinking monopolistic Billy Windows and get a virus every once in a while and be better off. How to you real programmers code without a design explanation? or else why don't you just post it? or say here's the source code, enjoy the comments. Geez.

If I try to force a virtual size with xrandr --fb and/or --panning, well it only kills the four nice workspaces that I would like to be 1080 pixels tall even if I drop down the resolution. I realize I am not contributing to the documentation. I don't imagine there will be lots of knowledgeable users with free time to do that. There is the economy and the politics we all create, and then there's the madness of free Linux! AHHHHHHHH!!!!! I was able to get a working Linux system ten years ago in only days! WTF! I know, there's a magic Xfce microcode. You guys holding out on me?

Last edited by dougchug (2012-03-19 22:37:45)

Board footer