Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-03-26 08:07:06

John_Jason_Jordan

Notification area icons always changing

I have the notification area in the panel in Xfce on Fedora 16, x86_64, current and up to date. The problem is that every time I restart the computer the icons in the notification area are different. For example, last time I rebooted I had icons for what I wanted in the notification area:

Bluetooth manager
Network Manager
Volume Control

But after rebooting the Volume Control icon is missing, although sound is working fine. Sometimes I get icons for things that I don't want, like Ibus input method. Also, I have checked several applications to be hidden in the properties dialog box for the notification area, yet their icons still appear. (The icon is also turned off in the application, for those that offer the option.)

In attempting to fix this just now I cleared the list of known applications. This left me with Network Manager Applet, Xfce Power Manager, and Bluetooth. Note that at the moment the Xfce Power Manager icon does not appear in the panel, even though the notification area roperties says it does appear. Furthermore, having cleared known applications I can't find any way to restore the list, nor can I find any way to add applications to the list.

I would really like this notification area applet to function reliably, but I can't figure out the secret to make it behave consistently. Any suggestions?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2012-03-28 00:16:09

John_Jason_Jordan

Re: Notification area icons always changing

Does anyone know where the configuration file for the Notification Area panel widget is located and what it is called?

Linguistics on Linux!

#3 2012-03-28 10:36:11

Nick
Dev
Website

Stored in the xfce4-panel xfconf channel. Xml of this is written to ~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xml-... blabla.

#4 2012-03-29 01:01:54

John_Jason_Jordan

Nick wrote:

Stored in the xfce4-panel xfconf channel. Xml of this is written to ~/.config/xfce/xfconf/xml-... blabla.

Thanks. I could add the volume control if I knew the name to launch it.

It also appears that the volume icon is apparently not running, even though the box for it is ticked in Settings Manager > Session & Startup > Application Autostart > Volume Icon (Show desktop volume control). If it is checked, and I rebooted less than an hour ago, why would it not be running?

I used to have a little loudspeaker icon in the notification area. If I clicked on it I got a little slider where I could quickly adjust the sound without having to open the whole, confusing pavucontrol applet. It disappeared and I want it back! That's all I'm trying to do here.

Linguistics on Linux!

#5 2012-03-29 01:53:16

John_Jason_Jordan

Well, I finally got it fixed. It turns out that the applet is called "volumeicon." So I went into Settings Manager > Session & Startup > Application Autostart and added it to the list. After rebooting I had TWO volume control icons. WTH?

Of course, the original one was still checked as well, so evidently two instances got started. But before adding the second one the first one never started at all, even though its box was checked.

This is not the first time I have had strange behavior with applications auto-starting. I think there is a bug in the Application Autostart settings.

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer