Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-04 20:05:18

PetrolHead

This is what you get for saying "Yeah, sure, I can do it"...

You find yourself having to learn how to be a Linux sysadmin with zero background in Linux. It has been an interesting couple of months and things are not about to change soon... Anyways, I was running Fedora 16 KDE 64 bit but I got fed up with the fact that KDE took over 30 seconds to start from login. I'm eager to try everything Linux has to offer, so I installed Gnome, LXDE and Xfce and out of these Xfce seems to suit me best at the moment. Since bashing Gnome seems to be the proper thing to do, I have to say that the first Linux I installed was Linux Mint 12 LMDE and I quite liked it. Since I hadn't used any version of Gnome before, I didn't really see what all the fuss was about - how bad could Gnome be if LMDE was such a pleasant experience for a n00b like me? Well, after trying Fedora's Gnome desktop, I think I finally understand.

Oh, almost forgot: Hello.

#2 2012-04-04 20:26:10

gxagar

Re: This is what you get for saying "Yeah, sure, I can do it"...

I pretty sure the LMDE you test drove had Gnome2 on it, as Update Pack 4 has not been released yet.  That will convert LMDE to the Cinnamon DeskTop, Mint's version of Gnome3, which everyone says is better than Gnome's Gnome3.  Gnome2 is the one that everyone LOVES!  Fedora uses Gnome's Gnome3, and that's the one that everyone is bashing. I've been using Gnome2 for a few years and am in its Fan Club.  I haven't tried Gnome3 yet, and can't.  I don't have a Graphics Card that will run it.  Hence my transition to XFCE.  Lots of Distros offer & support XFCE, including the two that you've tried, Fedora & LMDE.  I hear good things about both.  Good Luck in Finding a Distro.  I use Debian Stable.

Oh, I almost Forgot: Welcome.

G

Linuxers Live by a CODE!

#3 2012-04-04 20:40:20

PetrolHead

Re: This is what you get for saying "Yeah, sure, I can do it"...

Thanks! Apologies for being vague, I meant Gnome 3 with MGSE when I talked about LMDE (it's the default). Of course you're right that it's just Gnome 3 that everyone is bashing. I haven't yet tried Gnome 2 but some of my co-workers use it with Ubuntu and I can see why Gnome 3 has not been well-received.

Edit: Seems like off to a good start on this forum. I accidentally clicked report instead of quote and didn't pay attention before clicking submit. So, if you get in trouble with the moderators, just tell them I need a pair of damn glasses. roll

Last edited by PetrolHead (2012-04-04 20:46:51)

Board footer