Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-06 11:59:53

omgdz
Website

Suggestion for 4.10 panel

The vertical deskbar is awesome! Any chance of making the Action Button on the deskbar show the user's name as a tooltip when you mouse over?

#2 2012-04-06 16:14:30

Keith Hedger
Website

Re: Suggestion for 4.10 panel

omgdz wrote:

The vertical deskbar is awesome! Any chance of making the Action Button on the deskbar show the user's name as a tooltip when you mouse over?

Why "awesome"?
I can't see a difference between the deskbar and vertical options, am I  missing something?

#3 2012-04-06 16:27:44

Nick
Dev
Website

set rows > 1. In the deskbar plugins (or well most plugins) are orientated horizontal, but packed vertical. In vertical mode both the direction and orientation is vertical.

#4 2012-04-06 16:55:23

andrzejr

I guess we will need some visuals for the 4.10 tour. Just describing the function isn't working very well. The "number of rows" option is misleading (rows/columns thing) and is not related to the deskbar mode at first sight.

#5 2012-04-06 17:16:17

andrzejr

omgdz wrote:

Action Button on the deskbar show the user's name as a tooltip when you mouse over?

You can change the appearance of the Action Buttons to "Session Menu", which will give you a single button with a user's name on it. As for the buttons mode - the tooltips are already used for displaying button functions, so adding the user's name could make them look rather messy.

#6 2012-04-06 18:08:08

omgdz
Website

andrzejr wrote:
omgdz wrote:

Action Button on the deskbar show the user's name as a tooltip when you mouse over?

You can change the appearance of the Action Buttons to "Session Menu", which will give you a single button with a user's name on it. As for the buttons mode - the tooltips are already used for displaying button functions, so adding the user's name could make them look rather messy.

Right, in deskbar using Session menu you can't see the username. In Actions menu you get 7 icons. It would be nice if Session menu would give you a single icon with the user's name popping up as a tooltip when you mouse over it, IMhO

#7 2012-04-06 18:23:45

Keith Hedger
Website

Nick wrote:

set rows > 1. In the deskbar plugins (or well most plugins) are orientated horizontal, but packed vertical. In vertical mode both the direction and orientation is vertical.

Ok I never saw the difference because the only plugins I had on the bar only showed icons, adding items which display text makes the difference obvious, still not "awesome" though!

#8 2012-04-07 06:42:17

andrzejr

omgdz:
I'm currently using "Action Buttons" plugin configured with "Appearance: Session Menu". This gives me a single button with the user's name *on* it. Do I understand correctly that it doesn't work like this for you? If so, can you describe exactly what are you seeing? This might be a bug. Of course we could add a tooltip displaying the same text as one visible on the button but that shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

Keith:
Deskbar mode has its own distinct uses (wide screen, many plugins etc.). Indeed, if the only thing you want is having icons on a vertical panel then it won't make much difference to you. One side effect of implementing it is that now you can have multiple rows/columns in all modes, which can be useful even if you are not interested in the deskbar itself.

#9 2012-04-07 11:08:44

Keith Hedger
Website

I agree the multiple rows/columns is a nice feature ( I may even use it! )

#10 2012-04-07 12:08:44

omgdz
Website

andrzejr wrote:

omgdz:
I'm currently using "Action Buttons" plugin configured with "Appearance: Session Menu". This gives me a single button with the user's name *on* it. Do I understand correctly that it doesn't work like this for you? If so, can you describe exactly what are you seeing? This might be a bug. Of course we could add a tooltip displaying the same text as one visible on the button but that shouldn't be necessary in the first place.

It works perfectly and is much more attractive than the normal vertical panel.  The reason for my suggestion was one of aesthetics: deskbar shows the user's name, but if one configures the bar to be only 1 row, there are only 4 or so letters showing. If the entire user name pops up when you mouse over it, IMO it would enhance the look. Obviously, if you're on a desktop, you know who you are or can figure it out after reading the first few letters of your user name smile, but similarly, if you've created launchers and added plug-ins for your panel, you know what their functions are also. The tooltips really serve as enhancements, and I thought that having the name pop up would add consistency to the UI.

#11 2012-04-07 14:08:30

Ekstazi

Can you add this to the panel ?

Board footer