Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-17 01:34:23

sshede

Some applications seem to be ignoring my theme selection.

So I made the jump to XFCE due to Gnome3 being unproductive and Unity being Unity - love it. Problem is, some apps ignore my theme choices. I don't mean root apps either, I remember that being normal when I first started using Linux. Right now, Calculator, System Monitor, and Ubuntu Software Center all look like they came out of 1998, generic old looking gray themes. Happened specifically after I tried Linux Kernel 3.2 one time and have since booted only into what I was using before, 3.0.0.17. If anyone has some insight, that would be wonderful.

#2 2012-04-17 03:36:56

lifeinthegrey

Re: Some applications seem to be ignoring my theme selection.

sshede wrote:

So I made the jump to XFCE due to Gnome3 being unproductive and Unity being Unity - love it. Problem is, some apps ignore my theme choices. I don't mean root apps either, I remember that being normal when I first started using Linux. Right now, Calculator, System Monitor, and Ubuntu Software Center all look like they came out of 1998, generic old looking gray themes. Happened specifically after I tried Linux Kernel 3.2 one time and have since booted only into what I was using before, 3.0.0.17. If anyone has some insight, that would be wonderful.

Most likely you are using gcalctool and gnome-system-monitor, both of which use GTK3 libraries to provide theming, as does the Ubuntu Software Center. XFCE is built from GTK2 libraries, so changing the theme (likely from the Xubuntu default Greybird, or from ... well nothing if you installed XFCE over standard Ubuntu) will create gaps for GTK3-based applications and cause them to default back to yesteryear appearance.

I have provided a few themes that use both GTK2 and GTK3 libraries here, but if you don't dig those you can always search out themes on deviantArt. Or you can build one yourself; GTK3 themes are basically just CSS, so if you've done any web development you should pick it up quickly.

Last edited by lifeinthegrey (2012-04-17 03:37:33)

oh, you want eXtremely Fast Computing? thats Easy ...

Board footer