Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-04 20:08:27

reservE

Incosistencies in Thunar, need help

Hi, I'm new to xfce and I really liked it but I stumbled upon something strange.
I don't think it's distro related, I observed it in LMDE 2012 xfce and in xubuntu 12.04.

I'm experiencing a really strange (I suppose dangerous if let alone) issue in LMDE 2012 XFCE release.

If I check disk space (via thunar) I get inconsistents values, like:
- used space 26GB, free spade 12GB (on a 32GB ext3 root partition)

If I check disk space (via df) I get apparently correct values, like:
- used space 20GB, free spade 12GB (on the same partition)

If I manually check some directories where I have big files, I see a total of 18GB of files, so adding the OS/Programs used space (4GB or more, as reported by GParted on a fresh install) the used space becames at least 22GB.

Then I created a 96GB ext3 partition with GParted, and after mounting it it is just 89,5GB...

I checked the HDD, partitions, etc (just in case), all is ok, but still I can't get a proper report of used and free space, reporting free space where there is not is really dangerous. True, it's a small 32GB partition for testing pourpouse, but I happened to actually run out of space, and it isn't funny until you fix it.

It checked this with ubuntu maverick and LMDE 2012 MATE, the values are consistent (Gparted, df, file browser), and the 96GB partition is 96GB, so this issue seems to be related to XFCE only.

Something must be really wrong here, I'd really appreciate some help here... Thanks a lot.

#2 2012-05-12 05:13:37

reservE

Re: Incosistencies in Thunar, need help

mmm, so it seems nobody has an idea about what is happening.
I expected more feedback since it's a serious matter, I guess that's it.
I'll see if filing a bugreport hhelps, but I don't even know if it's a bug or what.

#3 2012-05-12 19:10:32

stqn

What you said doesn’t make much sense to me.

I suppose Thunar shows sizes as GB (1 billion bytes), while df uses GiB (1024^3 bytes).

Also there is some reserved space for root and to store inodes, and the size of a file is not the same as the size of the space it occupies on disk.

#4 2012-05-12 19:19:07

reservE

"not makes sense"... must be my engrilish...

"I created a 96GB ext3 partition with GParted, and after mounting it it is just 89,5GB..." -> makes sense.

It's a new partition, and it has issues just after creating+formatting it.

On a side note, I upgraded to XFCE 4.10, and thunar seems to show the values.
I was pretty happy, till I realized that it was the only one that was "fixed".

I also don't think it's reserved space for inodes or rounding error, if the first it's too much, if the second it's idiotic, that's HDD builder that round that way, and it's wrong. And I checked with BIG files, like some GB each, no rounding error there.

I don't know what it is, but there is something wrong, maybe a lib somewhere...
(nautilus shows the values correctly, but I went xfce for a reason, I'm not too keen of changing again)

Last edited by reservE (2012-05-12 19:21:21)

Board footer