Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-01-20 03:37:04

tbruff13

Multimedia Key Support In XFCE

I am running an Acer Aspire 5517 and when i try to use the hotkeys that came with the computer some of them do not worked (they all worked in Gnome). I like XFCE because of its lightweight feel and the speed boost, but right now i have to enable Gnome services to get the hotkeys to work. The hotkey fn+left and right turn brightness up and down and it works. the hotkey fn+ up down is supposed to turn volume up and down and it does not work. the hotkey fn+f11 fn+f12 is supposed to skip songs and it does not work. I have tried using XFCE-mixer and keyboard shortcuts. I have tried volumed (it crashed pulseaudio). I am running Xfce 4.8 Sabayon if anyone can help me with this issue I would love it so that I can ditch Gnome altogether.

#2 2012-01-20 03:42:16

lepetit

Re: Multimedia Key Support In XFCE

#3 2012-01-20 04:06:09

tbruff13

I tried that Iepetit but the issue is i do not know what commands to put in the blank i tried volumed for the volume commands and it crashed pulse as for the play/skip I have no clue what commands to put in the box, but I will check what commands gnome uses to make these keys work. For now do you have any other ways to do this?

#4 2012-05-25 15:11:18

cristianpark

tbruff13 wrote:

I tried that Iepetit but the issue is i do not know what commands to put in the blank i tried volumed for the volume commands and it crashed pulse as for the play/skip I have no clue what commands to put in the box, but I will check what commands gnome uses to make these keys work. For now do you have any other ways to do this?

Hi tbruff13, I'm new to XFCE too and was searching for this too and I found this thread and want to tell you how it worked for me

- First, you have to configure the media keys with Xmodmap
Search 'Is it possible to use Media keys in the Shortcut Editor?' topic on http://wiki.xfce.org/faq#keyboard
- Then restart your session and now you can go to keyboard setting and configure the shorcuts like this:
(for each entry you put the command first, then Click Ok and press the keys you want to configure)

________KEY EVENT____|_______COMMAND_________
XF86AudioRaiseVolume  => amixer set Master 4000+
XF86AudioLowerVolume  => amixer set Master 4000-
XF86AudioMute  => amixer set Master toggle
XF86AudioNext  => banshee --next
XF86AudioPrev  => banshee --previous
XF86AudioPlay  => banshee --toggle-playing
XF86AudioStop => banshee --stop

As you can see, I configure the keys for controlling banshee, so you may change the command to suit your player (I don't know the command global to all players or if it exists either)

I hope it can help you

#5 2012-05-27 10:36:09

paolo321

I had "weird issues" mapping some keyboard shortcuts in the past, solved using xbindkeys...
Don't know the exact cause and/or if something has changed in the meanwhile, I've not analyzed the problem further.

#6 2012-05-27 20:55:05

nuc

yes, I've also got the impression that xfce cant handle hotkeys very well. Roughly half of my hotkeys seem to work.

my system:
ArchLinux
xfce 4.10

Board footer