Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-03 06:33:40

xaccrocheur

[Solved] How does mount work exactly ? (as of today)

Hi. If I launch KDE (4.3) my removable partitions (my phone, my girlfriend's USB drive, and whatnot) appear in a list as a plug them and I can click on one to mount it automatically (Without bothering to know *where*, that's the point - they quietly mount in /media/<Partition name>)

And that is great because I use unison to sync directories on different volumes, so manual mounting is not an option as I could make a mistake in paths names.

But when I launch XFCE no such thing happen. No icon in the tray to click on and say "yes, mount this one (where you usually do it)"

In my fstab there are one line for each of my (HD) partitions, and that's it. *Nothing* regarding any removable device. And yet KDE knows when I plug one...

...Is there another file involved ?

So my question is twofold :

1-How does KDE find my drives w/o any mention of them in the fstab ?
2-How can I make xfce behave similarly ?

Last edited by xaccrocheur (2012-06-03 06:38:46)

#2 2012-06-03 06:48:11

Pindakoe

Re: [Solved] How does mount work exactly ? (as of today)

With me Thunar does the same -- the newly connected drive appears in its list (and on the desktop if you have that enabled in desktop settings). Clicking on it mounts it. May be related to you Thunar settings, specifically 'Enable Volumemanagement (settings, Advanced)

#3 2012-06-03 11:23:59

xaccrocheur

Stupid me, I missed the nice volume icon(s) on the desktop... hmm

Last edited by xaccrocheur (2012-06-03 11:24:31)

#4 2013-02-10 13:48:43

lintek

This is what fixed the problem for me. This information right from the Thunar help page. Start the daemon should do the trick.

Troubleshooting the Volume Manager

1 .Make sure Thunar is running as daemon. The volume manager depends on this, as it is not a daemon by itself. By default, Xfce automatically spawns Thunar as daemon on startup. If it got killed for some reason, open the Run program (using the keyboard shortcut Alt+F2 or right-click on the desktop and choose Run Program... from the desktop menu), enter Thunar --daemon and click Run.

#5 2013-05-09 22:27:41

Sideburns
Website

I just checked, and Thunar wasn't running as a daemon.  I followed your instructions, inserted a flash drive and found that it still doesn't get mounted, even though I have Removable Media set to mount it on insertion.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer