Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-07 14:20:15

osce

How to add a mouse property from command line

I'd like to setup xfce4 (4.8) so that a new user who desires it will have mouse buttons switched when first login.

I checked xfconf-query and there is a RightHanded property in pointers channel.

The problem is, when the new user first logs in in a new home directory, that xfce4 property doesn't exist. I could create a new property using xfconf-query, but then the next problem is, it requires the mouse hardware name in the property (like /SomeBrandUSBMouse/RightHanded) which depends on the mouse connected at the time, and I'm not sure how to get the name.

I also thought of adding an entry in XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/xfconf/ but that's not a good idea since it forces everyone to use left-handed mouse. And the hardware mouse name problem still exists.

(subject changed to reflect more closely the problem at hand).

Last edited by osce (2012-06-08 06:03:15)

#2 2012-06-08 06:01:30

osce

Re: How to add a mouse property from command line

Ok, I think I found a way to make this work, unless someone gives me a better idea.

I found that /proc/bus/input/devices have the list of mouse names with Handlers=mouse, and the names are translated by removing special characters (like slash) and converting spaces to underlines. Would this work? Is this how xfce4 shows the names of the mice?

Board footer