Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2011-06-07 11:27:57

JuanFGS

[Solved] volume dialog

When using the multimedia keys on my keyboard or the key combination to increase or decrease the volume on my pc or laptop the volume indicator sometimes appear and sometimes don't. It's kind of annoying, but maybe there is something wrong with my setup. Don't know if  this is a problem with XFCE or with pulseaudio (because the notifications are the same used by Gnome so I guess it's not the volume manager for XFCE).

Last edited by JuanFGS (2011-06-07 11:32:18)

#2 2011-10-21 17:04:38

jeanphil

Re: [Solved] volume dialog

I think I have the same issue. I upgraded my ubuntu system from 11.04 to 11.10, then installed xubuntu-desktop. When I adjust the volume with the keyboard, I see the volume dialog. During subsequent adjustments, the volume dialog doesn't show up. However, I can see that it is in the notification area. If I clear all notifications, then adjust the volume, I will see the dialog again.

This doesn't occur on a fresh installation of xubuntu 11.10.

Anybody knows what's happening?

Last edited by jeanphil (2011-10-21 17:08:56)

#3 2011-10-21 17:46:23

Mellowbob

I've got a similar problem I was going to post about ... on my system (ubuntu 11.10) I have the panel mixer applet set with /usr/bin/pavucontrol as the left-click option.

So, here's what happens:

- left click ... pavucontrol. Perfect
- scroll up/down on the applet ... volume goes up/down. Perfect
- multi-media keys up/down brings up a notification with a speaker and scroll bar. The bar moves up/down, but the volume doesn't change at all. Not Perfect smile

I just checked the keyboard bindings in settings->keyboard->application shortcuts and the multimedia up/down keys are not listed. I'm thinking I may need to bind them to something ... but don't know what.

#4 2011-10-30 00:43:38

Mellowbob

For others having a problem with mixer applet and pulseaudio and multimedia keys ... I stumbled across this page;

http://ulno.net/2011/04/16/mixer-contro … omment-292

His solution worked for me.

Hope it helps someone else,

#5 2011-10-30 12:05:25

jeanphil

Thanks Mellowbob. That was exactly my problem. In the end, I managed to make the increase/decrease volume and mute work but for some reason the unmute wasn't working. After fixing the config, it works. Thanks again!

#6 2012-06-15 21:35:26

Mellowbob

Okay, serves me right for upgrading smile

I did have the volume stuff all working with my Ubuntu 11.10 install. Now, I'm on 12.04 ...

First off, the volume stuff works just fine. I have the xfce4-mixer applet in my panel. The middle mouse scroll wheel nicely moves the volume up/down. No indicator, just the bars in the applet change.

Now, the multi-media keys ... again, they work. And, yes, they adjust the correct sound card.

But, when I use the keys I get this ugly pop-up indicator in the middle of the screen. A huge speaker with "sound waves" coming out of it.

My questions:

1. Where is it decided what application to use when the multimedia keys are pressed. I've checked everything I can think of xfce4 related and can find nothing.

2. How can I get a different, more pleasing indicator for this?

Thanks.

#7 2012-06-16 18:18:26

secipolla

Mellowbob wrote:

My questions:

1. Where is it decided what application to use when the multimedia keys are pressed. I've checked everything I can think of xfce4 related and can find nothing.

2. How can I get a different, more pleasing indicator for this?

Thanks.

1. I think it's hard coded. I don't know how it works but maybe through alsa?

2. I suppose it's the notification-daemon your distribution uses. If it allows for changing notification themes then you would do that, if not you could try replacing it for a different notification daemon.
I don't have that multimedia keys app but have you checked its manual or help if it has an option to disable notifications? In case it doesn't have and if you find it important you could open a bug report asking if that can be implemented.

Board footer