Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-13 21:21:30

DavidBiesack

[Solved] Power button shuts down instead of suspending

I'm running Fedora 17 with an xfce session and xfce4-panel. From the power manager button in the panel, or pressing my suspend button (Fn F1 on my Dell laptop keyboard), I can suspend/resume OK.

I configured via Settings -> Settings Manager -> Power Manager to have the system suspend when I press the power key or close the lid. If I close the lid, the system suspends, but when I press the power key, the system shuts down instead. It shuts down immediately (i.e. I don't have to hold the power buttton down for several seconds).

Is there an extra setting I'm missing?

#2 2012-07-13 21:36:50

angstrom

Re: [Solved] Power button shuts down instead of suspending

Maybe it is acpi that get the power button press down signal instead of xfce power manager.
Try this http://wiki.xfce.org/tips#solution_2

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#3 2012-07-17 15:29:34

DavidBiesack

angstrom wrote:

Maybe it is acpi that get the power button press down signal instead of xfce power manager.

Thanks, that worked, with some changes since I wanted different action than that thread. I updated /etc/acpi/events/powerconf and changed the action to

action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend

#4 2012-07-17 16:43:45

DavidBiesack

DavidBiesack wrote:
angstrom wrote:

Thanks, that worked, with some changes since I wanted different action than that thread. I updated /etc/acpi/events/powerconf and changed the action to

action=/usr/sbin/pm-suspend

I marked this as 'Solved' but it is really just a work around; i.e. the xfce power manager app was and is not working as it should on Fedora 17.
(Hacking /etc/acpi/events/powerconf is not elegant.)

#5 2012-07-17 19:45:10

angstrom

Have you tried to set acpi action to /bin/true and configure powemanager to suspend when power/suspend button is pressed ? Normally, it should work.

I don't think you can get more sexy than hacking acpi. It's not really hacking but simply configuration. acpi and powermanager both can suspend your system so it may conflict. That why you have to disable at least one of them.

#6 2012-07-17 20:05:37

DavidBiesack

I did try the /bin/true action but the system still powered down.
I don't mind hacking acpi but the xfce GUI does not do what it says it does.... What I did is OK for a single user system (my laptop) but in general, changing a system-wide config file is less desirable than a solution that honors the user's preference. I.e. I need to remember to go back and change that file if I decide to change the button's action from suspend to hibernate... what's the point of the GUI then?

#7 2012-07-17 20:19:42

angstrom

DavidBiesack wrote:

This is not normal ... may be a reboot is needed to reload the configuration ? Or may be another acpi events that stil in action or some other power managing (like pm-utils) apps

Anyway, for the moment acpi will always get power button signal before xfce power manager so ... to disable this behavior, I think you have to ask Linux distribution to disable it by default but I don't know if xfce dev can do anything about this ...

#8 2012-07-18 13:38:23

DavidBiesack

angstrom wrote:
DavidBiesack wrote:

This is not normal ... may be a reboot is needed to reload the configuration ? Or may be another acpi events that stil in action or some other power managing (like pm-utils) apps

Yes, I think changing the config file requires a reboot. I reverted back to /bin/true, then rebooted and now the power button suspends as desired. Thanks.

Board footer