Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-05-23 19:39:58

bonfire89

dock - combine launcher with window list

Hi there,

With regards to the dock, is it possible to combine launchers with window list indicators?

That is, I should be able to launch a closed application from an icon in the dock and have no new icons appear in the dock. I should then be able to minimize that application, then re-maximize it by clicking the same icon I clicked to initially start the application.

I hope that makes sense. Let me know.

Thanks!

EDIT: the normal launchers sort of do this, but, they don't seem to handle the situation where you have two instances open.

Last edited by bonfire89 (2012-05-23 19:45:12)

#2 2012-07-07 19:27:10

reifnotreef

Re: dock - combine launcher with window list

I just registered to ask the same thing!
At least, I think so. I'm working on my dads old macbook 2,1 (core2duo, 1gb ram)

What I'm trying to, basically, is make the bottom panel of Xfce as close to Mac OS X as I can.
I used Cairo-dock and know that's almost exactly what I want - but! I wanted to know if this can be done with default panels in Xfce?

TL:DR
Can I make a Mac osx-like bottom panel in xfce?

(+bumping for great justice!)

#3 2012-07-07 19:35:10

secipolla

Not with xfce4-panel but have you tried dreamlinux? I think they use a dock called plank.

#4 2012-07-16 07:45:49

n3storm

Yes there is a way and I hope it will be more officially supported and polished.

This blog post is in spanish http://blog.desdelinux.net/how-to-usar- … -practico/

It tells you to install some development tools to compile a panel plugin called taskbar (as in windows 7 taskbar, but it behaves also as a dock) downloaded from Xfce git repository.

I got some missing packages while compiling for Debian, but at the end I could do it and I'm really happy using it. I didn't wan't to install docky or awn with a lot of gnome dependencies.

To tune up a bit you can mess around with ~/.config/xfce4/panel/taskbar/taskbar.rc

Warning, it has some limitations, for example it doesn't allow you to reorder icons. Another issues is that themes doesn't usually theme a panel like this, then, is hard to tell if an application is launched or minimized or what. I found one theme that works great so I'm using its panel.rc in other themes smile

The biggest advantage is that you don't have on screen application launchers AND running application icons, you have both. For example, you have an icon for Web browser, click on it and web browser launches. Clicking in the same icon minimizes or gives you window menu. This is really comfortable (Thanks NextStep > WindowMaker, AfterStep, and macosx)

#5 2012-07-20 05:36:43

black veils

you can just install docky, its a dock, probably has the function you want. or cairo dock, which has lots of settings.

#6 2012-07-20 10:26:44

ToZ
Administrator

Or use a launcher script like the one discussed here: http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=6168. Final script in post #35.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

Board footer