Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-07-25 00:27:29

Sideburns
Website

[Solved] Creating new launchers

My sister uses Ubuntu, and has gotten tired of trying to make Unity work for her.  I think the deciding moment for her was watching me bring up my menu by simply right-clicking on the desktop.  Instead of reinstalling with Xubuntu, I simply had her install xfce4, log out and select Xfce when logging back in.  Works great!

However, there are programs she'd like to be able to launch from the desktop, but there aren't launchers for.  Yes, I know that I could create launchers and select the programs for her, but I shouldn't have to and she doesn't know how to find them on her own.  We've tried dragging programs from the Application menu, either by drag and drop or by right-click but nothing works.  (I was lucky; when I migrated, Xfce found and used by Gnome 2 settings so I didn't have to do any of this.)  If there's an easy way to do this, please let me know.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2012-09-24 18:58:05

greg-nz
Website

Re: [Solved] Creating new launchers

Hi.

Yes. There is an easy way of creating launchers, and I've just discovered it myself. If you open the Application Finder (xfce4-appfinder), which on my edition of Linux Mint is bound by default to the left Windows key (try CTRL-left Windows key for the extended App. Finder), then you can drag the icons from the list of applications to the desktop or the panel to create a launcher.

Incidentally, the keybindings for xfce4-appfinder can be found and changed under Settings>Keyboard>Application Shortcuts.

Let us all know if it works. It should do.

Greg

#3 2012-09-26 20:58:56

secipolla

alt+f2 for the collapsed window (ex xfce4-run) and alt+f3 for the expanded.

BTW, Xfce is always showing some tricks. Like today I discovered the 'select by pattern' (ctrl+s) feature in Thunar when looking at a screenshot on Nick Schermer's interview.

Last edited by secipolla (2012-09-26 21:00:33)

#4 2012-10-02 19:32:30

Longstreet

greg-nz wrote:

Hi.

Yes. There is an easy way of creating launchers, and I've just discovered it myself. If you open the Application Finder (xfce4-appfinder), which on my edition of Linux Mint is bound by default to the left Windows key (try CTRL-left Windows key for the extended App. Finder), then you can drag the icons from the list of applications to the desktop or the panel to create a launcher.

Greg

Came to the Xfce forums with the same question. Found the answer on the first page.

Works like a charm. Thanks!

#5 2012-10-02 20:37:14

Sideburns
Website

OK, I finally made the time to check this out.  It's not listed in my keyboard shortcuts, but it is on the Accessory menu, and I've tested it by putting it on my desktop.  Thanx!  Now, I should be able to get it set up on my sister's box with no trouble.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

Board footer