Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-04-23 17:20:08

j2496i

Desktop wallpaper will show in b&w only [Arch + XFCE4 DE]

Hi,

I am completely new to xfce (this weekend), and am also fairly new to linux though not a complete noob.  I'm comfortable in a terminal or development environment, and am currently running XFCE on top of Arch.

I did a full arch system update (pacman -Syu) today, to find that all .jpeg support had been lost - but only for the XFCE desktop and wallpaper-chooser application (not sure what it's command name is).  All libraries seem to be intact and Gimp / Imagemagick have had no trouble recognizing and displaying jpegs in full colour.

I have managed to fix the issue partially, by removing and reinstalling gdk-pixbuf and gdk-pixbuf2 - which I recall threw some errors during the system update.  However, all custom (jpeg or png) wallpaper images are displayed in black and white once they are set as wallpaper.  In the 'Desktop Settings' menu / wallpaper chooser within XFCE settings I can once again recognise jpegs as image files, and view them in colour, as I can in any file-manager that I use., though they appear in b&w once set as wallpaper. Also - all desktop icons are in colour, and I can set background of any panel to a jpeg and it will appear in colour - so it appears to be only the desktop that is affected...

Has anyone experienced this issue, or have any advice on how I might go about debugging and resolving this?

Julian

Last edited by j2496i (2012-04-23 17:55:55)

#2 2012-04-24 14:22:02

Keith Hedger
Website

Re: Desktop wallpaper will show in b&w only [Arch + XFCE4 DE]

You *MAY* have accidentally set the saturation of the wallpaper to 0 run this from the command line and see if it helps

xfconf-query -nRt double -c xfce4-desktop -vp /backdrop/screen0/monitor0/saturation -s 1.0

#3 2012-08-12 11:04:12

graysky

Re: Desktop wallpaper will show in b&w only [Arch + XFCE4 DE]

@HK - thanks for the tip!

Board footer