Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-08-18 16:24:20

WonderWoofy

xfce4-power-manager customization

Hi all! 

I was wondering what command the xfce4-power-manager uses for its actions (ie. suspend, hibernate, etc.).  I assume that they are the dbus commands since on Arch it does not appear that pm-utils is a dependency of the power manager package. 

The reason I am interested is because I have just made the move to systemd, and noticed that '$ systemctl suspend' is super fast as is hibernate, but lid closing using the xfce4-power-manager takes longer (actually about the same amount of time it used to when I was using pm-utils exclusively). 

So my question is this:
Is there a way to change the commands xfce4-power-manager uses to carry out its actions?  Also, is there possibly an already existing patch for better systemd integration? 

I am not afraid of compiling myself, but my experience with altering source code (except patching) has not been great.  Unfortunately I am only fluent in one language of any kind.  Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

#2 2012-08-19 21:13:42

clkmsc

Re: xfce4-power-manager customization

I'm curious about this as well...

#3 2012-08-20 16:17:51

secipolla

To be sure you would have to look at the source code at git.xfce.org
But I don't think it integrates with systemd.
Then you may want to open a bug report/feature request for that.

edit- Interesting, I use xfce4-power-manager almost exclusively for that (there's the screen blanking adjustments too, but I rarely or never change them).
One thing besides making custom scripts to run 'systemctl 'suspend'' would be to use acpid and have a suspend script for it (it works if no GUI power manager is running).

Last edited by secipolla (2012-08-20 16:22:18)

#4 2012-08-21 01:10:03

WonderWoofy

Thanks for the reply secipolla, I has a look at the source code I downloaded via the Arch Build System, and it seems to indicate that it is using upower/dbus to invoke suspend and hibernate at least.  I thought about making a custom script to redirect the command, but thought it would be too much work. 

For transparency's sake, I will admit that I do not use the XFCE desktop in its entirety.  In fact I was only using the power manager and notifyd until I switched to systemd.  I run just a window manager in a custom environment.  My favorites (and teh ones currently installed on my system) are dwm, openbox, ratpoison, and awesome.  I have a thing for tiling, but really cannot see doing entirely away with floating.

So before using xfce4-power-manager, I was using acpid to suspend on lid close as well as change power/performance settings depending on charging status.  For auto suspend, I was using xautolock which is fabulous (it is just too bad it needs X).  Systemd's suspend and hibernate functions (in addition to poweroff and boot) are incredibly fast, so I would definitely like to use them.  But at the same time it would be nice to have a lightweight and centralized power management system.

I am not sure if I would really indicate this as a 'bug' since it is obviously designed this way, and it is still functioning as expected.  I would also expect that this is a feature that will come to pass as systemd is adopted by more of the Linux ecosystem.  Upstream is touting it as the new way, and I have to admit that I am a believer.  So it would make sense to have more than users than not using the same init system.  So I think for now I will just go back to my old way and wait for the changes patiently.

Thanks again secipolla!

Board footer