Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-19 04:22:17

Jeeproxx

Configuring synergy for autostart

I'm trying to configure synergy to autostart. I'm wondering if someone can point me as to where I can find the equivalent to xdm/Xsetup xdm/Xstartup xdm/Xsession in xfce4.

Thanks

#2 2008-10-22 20:23:37

Invisible

Re: Configuring synergy for autostart

I don't know if this replies to your question but I just go to configuration > Applications for autostart. There you can choose the commands to execute in autostart.

#3 2012-06-04 14:07:59

witeshadow

I have a related problem. I have added synergy to the autostart control panel, but sometimes synergy crashes so some kind of check and restart would be helpful, and I'd really like to have it start before I log in so I can login via my other PC (acting as server). I've seen how to do this for Gnome, but not for XFCE.

P.S. I'm running Linux Mint Debian XFCE (4.8)

#4 2012-09-18 20:27:14

bjahns

I've got it added to the autostart, but I'd really like to have it start with xdg so i can use my keyboard and mouse to login, right now synergy only starts once I authenticate and xfce4 session starts.  Anyone get this working? It seems that KDE and Gnome can do it.

Fedora core 17, xdg/xfce4

Thanks!

#5 2012-09-19 00:35:41

secipolla

You mean xdm?
Try placing a script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d (remove the auto-start from the Xfce session so it won't start twice).

#6 2013-09-15 20:22:21

monkadelicd

I know this will be the third revival of this thread but I've got mine up and running before login

you need two scripts, one to load synergy for use in the login screen and another for use after logging in.

the greeter setup script is the one that will run before a user logs in so Synergy client will connect to the Synergy server and use its mouse and keyboard to login.

I named my scripts lightdmgreeter.sh and lightdmsession.sh
They can each have the same contents. Having seperate scripts allows you to add more services to either one later if you need to.

my script is as follows:

#!/bin/sh

#
# use this script to start services before user login. 
#

# Kill any running Synergy client wait and start a new client
/usr/bin/killall -9 synergyc
sleep 1
/usr/bin/synergyc <ip-address-of-server>

exit 0

you have the following lines in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf:

greeter-setup-script=<location of your script>
session-setup-script=<location of your script>

My install of Synergy had a lightdm.conf file with all option lines present but commented out. If you have this just look for the above lines, uncomment them and add the location of your script.

I placed my scripts in my '/home/<usr-name>/' directory, so my lines read as follows:

greeter-setup-script=/home/<usr-name>/lightdmgreeter.sh
session-setup-script=/home/<usr-name>/lightdmsession.sh

On a side note I've had issues starting the Synergy server on my Debian XFCE box. It started before login fine when I was running SolusOS but I've not been able to get it to start properly since I've changed to Debian XFCE. Synergy works just fine after login but using the greeter and session scripts in LightDM to start Synergy server has given me issues with startup before login and after login.
Below is a link to the thread where I've been discussing my issue:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php? … 95#p512095

Board footer