Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-22 16:21:42

golinux

Thunar expand folder view possible?

Last night I installed XFCE Wheezy testing (I just know Gnome 3 isn't gonna work for me) and one deal breaker in Thunar is its inability to expand directories in the detailed list view.  That feature wasn't in Squeeze either but I was hoping to find it in testing.   I've searched but haven't run across mention of this issue.  Did I miss something in the settings?  Or is there a custom action to accomplish this?  Switching file managers can be problematic so I would rather stay with native apps if possible.  TIA.

#2 2012-09-23 00:35:13

gnome_refugee

Re: Thunar expand folder view possible?

Hi, golinux.

Not sure what you mean... I've always used Thunar in detailed list view. To see what's in a directory in the main pane, I just double-click on the directory name. The main pane then fills with that directory's contents. I complement this with a tree view in the side pane. Selecting a directory there means its contents show in the main pane. If the directory has sub-directories, a little triangle appears to the left of the directory in the side pane. The triangle is a toggle switch to show/hide the sub-directories.

Are you wanting a tree view in the main pane as well? You'll need a different file manager, but you shouldn't have trouble running an alternative file manager under Xfce.

#3 2012-09-23 01:27:29

golinux

gnome_refugee wrote:

Not sure what you mean... I've always used Thunar in detailed list view.

Well, we have being a Gnome refugee and view preference in common. 

gnome_refugee wrote:

To see what's in a directory in the main pane, I just double-click on the directory name. The main pane then fills with that directory's contents.

That's the 'problem'. I want to see the sub-directories in context of their parent directories in the main pane.

gnome_refugee wrote:

I complement this with a tree view in the side pane.

That helps a bit however, I have not yet discovered how to make that view default.  sad

gnome_refugee wrote:

Are you wanting a tree view in the main pane as well? You'll need a different file manager, but you shouldn't have trouble running an alternative file manager under Xfce.

Are there any other file managers that have a tree view in the main pane besides Nautilus?  I tried using Nautilus but it did not play well with XFCE - themes looked awful and it didn't want to work from the Desktop. .   All this is very discouraging as I have been a Gnome user since I started with Linux about 7 years ago.  Having to adjust my work-flow and relearn customizations (which are not very intuitive) is a royal PITA.

Thanks for your help.  smile

#4 2012-09-23 01:49:25

gnome_refugee

"I have not yet discovered how to make that view default." Go to View/Side pane/Tree. That setting should persist.

For alternative FMs, have a look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison … e_managers

and

http://www.linuxlinks.com/article/20081 … agers.html

[I liked the old Gnome, but I preferred Thunar to Nautilus. When the rumblings about a new Gnome first started on the Gnome forums, I spooked, tried Xfce and was really impressed. That was late 2009. Although we're Debian users here at home, I often recommend easier-to-use distros to friends who want to move to Linux. My top recommendations now are Xubuntu 12.04.1 with LibreOffice added, and Linux Mint 13 Xfce.]

#5 2012-09-23 06:58:43

golinux

I've done quite a bit of searching the last few days and while several file managers have tree view in the left pane, it seems only Nautilus has the tree view in the main pane.  At least now tree view is persistent in Thunar's left pane.

I started out with Red Hat in 2005 then moved to 'buntu then to Debian after Hardy.   Though I love green, I never warmed to the Mint menu and tool interfaces  . . .

Board footer