Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-23 22:32:54

tarashia

[Solved] Key Mapping

I hope this is the right place to put this!

I recently installed Fedora with GNOME, then added Xfce and have been using that mostly; it's more my style. n_n
I want to re-map two keys on my keyboard to a different key function, but not an application, so I can't use the settings > keyboard method.
I've been looking at xkbmap but I'm having trouble finding good documentation and the keys that I want to reassign are unusual...
(the most popular change seems to be to modify the capslock - this is not what I want)

I want to change two keys that perform a browser forward/back function into page up/down keys like on my old laptop.
The key codes for these two keys are:
Back:
key code #: 166
id from settings > keyboard: XF86Back
Forward:
key code #: 167
id from settings > keyboard: XF86Forward

How can I go about re-mapping these?
I would prefer it to be a permanent change that applies on startup and doesn't get re-set randomly by other stuff.

#2 2012-09-26 20:54:36

secipolla

Re: [Solved] Key Mapping

Sorry to not be more specific as I myself have no direct experience with it (and wanted too to make a script to toggle a key re-mapping), but that's done with xmodmap.
You might try asking in Fedora forum or some general Linux forum like linuxquestions

When you figure the command to remap the keys, you put the script in /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc.d/

Last edited by secipolla (2012-09-26 20:56:09)

#3 2012-10-06 17:35:08

tarashia

Re: [Solved] Key Mapping

Xmodmap did the trick, thanks!

Board footer