Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-27 16:57:01

golinux

OK . . . I'm hooked

Gnome 3 refugee here . . .

I've been playing with Wheezy testing XFCE for about a week now.  There was a bit of a learning curve but now things are settling in.  The desktop was the biggest hurdle.  I solved some of the issues for a traditional desktop layout but in the end stumbled on a totally different solution. I'm just going to ramble on . . .

Initially I installed Nautilus to solve the tree view in main pane issue I previously posted about.  But it insisted on taking over the desktop in an unpleasant way.  Also it seemed there was no communication between xfdesktop/Thunar and Nautilus regarding themes etc. Uninstalled Nautilus.  But xfdesktop/Thunar wasn't nearly as flexible as Nautilus so there was still frustration.   I did manage to resize the icons and even the grid so I could place items strategically and in close proximity on the desktop. But then . . . once I had a beautiful icon layout it got totally scrambled the next time I logged out and back in.  sad

Life got a lot easier once I figured out how to create custom actions and launchers in the panel.  I thought . . . why not put all those desktop icon launchers on a hidden panel tucked away on the left side to get around the scrambling of desktop icons.  It worked!

But how would that mesh with my habit of using the desktop as the transitional landing place for working and incoming files.  The solution?  Hidden dot files!  They don't show up on the desktop but do in the desktop panel launcher.

So now my desktop is empty and beautiful and everything just a click away on the hidden panel!!  Just wish I could figure out how to drag and drop instead of drag and copy . . . need to Google more . . .

Best part is I'm hardly missing Gnome any more.  Looks like I've found a new home.  Thanks!!

#2 2012-09-27 22:34:38

secipolla

Re: OK . . . I'm hooked

You mean drag to move instead of copy?
Shift+drag, I suppose.

#3 2012-09-28 03:03:39

golinux

Re: OK . . . I'm hooked

Yes. Thanks for the tip.   First time ever that a key was needed to accomplish drag and drop.  Always have just held down the left mouse button . . .  XFCE does a lot of things a little differently than what I'm used to.  Takes a while to get a grip on it.

Board footer