Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-09-28 17:55:32

John Hupp

Power Manager reports all 0.0 readings for APC UPS

I'm working with Lubuntu 12.04 which includes xfce4-power-manager 1.0.11.  That is with Lubuntu fully updated, so it does not know about the more recent releases (I believe 1.2 is current).

I am using an APC Back-UPS ES 350 (Model BE350U) connected via a simple signalling USB cable.  And although it is a simple signalling cable, on one test machine which has apcupsd installed, it reports smart-like information, much more than one would get with dumb voltage signalling.

But XPM reports under Power Information: UPS:

Attribute - Value
--------    -----
Device - ups_hiddev0
Type - UPS
Power Supply - True
Energy full design - 0.0 Wh
Energy full - 0.0 Wh
Energy empty - 0.0 Wh
Voltage - 0.0 V

So it seems that XPM is not communicating with whatever backend it uses for the UPS, or the backend is not monitoring effectively.

Needless to say, I have no confidence that XPM will actually execute a graceful shutdown of the system in the event of a power outage.

Is this a known issue?  If it is, has it been fixed in the current release?  I don't know a thing about how XPM works with its backend(s), but I know that apcupsd will accurately monitor this UPS.  Can XPM be configured to use that as the backend?

Last edited by John Hupp (2012-09-28 18:00:33)

#2 2012-09-30 13:14:07

paolo321

Re: Power Manager reports all 0.0 readings for APC UPS

Just noticed this happens also to me, with xubuntu 11.10 and xfpm 1.0.10
I don't know about new releases... I'll try quantal a couple of weeks after the release and check this :-)

Board footer