Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-10-05 19:04:05

Astara

How does Terminal's X-properties differ when the frame is off?

I was trying to figure out if there was some way of starting a generic X program (like one can use -geometry to place most such windows) that told X not to display the frame of a window.

I thought I'd do a Xwininfo on Terminal with it's frame turned on and off and look at diffs...
they were identical...*arg*...
Does that mean turning the window frame off isn't an X-property?

Also, how does one move the window when the frame is off?  I've tried pressing various
combinations of SHIFT/ALT/CTL & various clicks, but none seemed to be an alternate movement
method for the window...

Just trying to make my life a bit more convenient...by automating opening and setting up
various windows I normally use.

FWIW .. I usually run on Win7 -- and log into my linux box and display things remotely
via X...a major feature benefit of using remote windows -- I get full unicode support and even
I can understand how to configure ranges in the 'font-config' util...whereas displaying foreign chars in a windows util??  HAHAHAHA....joke...

The best font on windows for Unicode -- Arial Uni, isn't monospaced, and, of course, MSwin is a bit too dense to be able to use a proportional font in a monospace window (which X can do), but it doesn't need to, due to the excellent font-config support. 

And MS doesn't care -- they just want to dumb their interface down for the next smartphone...
(ARRG!)

Thanks,
Astara

#2 2012-11-02 17:19:12

secipolla

Re: How does Terminal's X-properties differ when the frame is off?

The frame AFAIK is provided by the window manager.
So if you want a frameless window either use a theme with no frame or a window manager that doesn't use a frame.
With devilspie, IIRC, you can make a window have no title bar.

#3 2012-11-04 05:13:48

Astara

Re: How does Terminal's X-properties differ when the frame is off?

secipolla wrote:

The frame AFAIK is provided by the window manager.
So if you want a frameless window either use a theme with no frame or a window manager that doesn't use a frame.
With devilspie, IIRC, you can make a window have no title bar.

---

Um...but terminal uses cygwin-X which uses the native windows manager.  Using that, I can turn frames on or off in 'terminal' -- so I was trying to figure out how it did that -- as it has to be doing it through the X-protocol, so I could apply it to other windows.

i.e. xfce already has the ability to turn off/turn on the window frame manager through my existing Cygwin-X that uses the windows window manager (win7).  I'm trying to figure out how you tell cygwin-X to get rid of the frame on 1 specific window (not all), as it can do it on just the "Terminal" program, for example, at "Terminal's" request (initiated by me from the
Terminal menu) -- which I think is very cool.   So how is it telling "X" to turn off the frame? --
this works for Terminal running natively (i.e. on Windows under cygwin), as well as
remotely on a linux box and simply using the Cygwin-X display.   Either one can request the frame be turned off on it's corresponding client window.

I was just trying to figure out how it was done -- or asking if anyone here knew...(i.e. that's why I'm asking under general discussion  -- it's not a bug!, it's a cool feature that I'm trying to figure out how is done!)...

Board footer