starting from Thunar version 1.6, I've noticed severe performance problems with the detailed list view in Thunar:
1. Selecting lots of files (e.g. using CTRL+A) takes several seconds to complete.
2. If a lot of items is selected, Thunar is terribly slow at the following:
a. Zooming. When zooming (CTRL+mouse wheel), the frame where the files are listed goes white for about 2 seconds before showing the list with the new zoom factor.
b. Scrolling. In the lowest zoom level (when the highest number of items are shown in the detailed list view), scrolling is limited to about 10 lines per seconds and does not respond well to my interaction.
c. Restoring the window. Restoring the Thunar window after being minimized takes about 5 seconds to complete.
d. Opening dialogs. If I try to delete the selected files (using Shift+Del), Thunar needs about 2 seconds to show the confirmation dialog.
During all of these actions, the cpu load of the X process goes up to near 100% making the described actions in Thunar slow as hell. Without lots of items being selected, the X cpu load just goes up to about 40%.
I said that I first noticed the problem in Thunar 1.6. A quick downgrade to 1.4 did not solve the issue though, so one of its dependencies that were updated around the same time might be causing the issue as well. In nautilus, this problem does not exist at all.
Is this problem known or does anybody have an idea what could cause it? Should I file a bug against it at the xfce bug tracker?
I am using the following system:
DELL Latitude E6400 (Intel Core 2 Duo 2.53 GHz, 4 GB RAM, NVIDIA Quadro NVS 160M)
ArchLinux 64bit (thunar 1.6.1, exo 0.10.1, linux-ck 3.7, nvidia 310.19, Xorg-server 126.96.36.1992, gtk2 2.24.14, glib2 2.34.3)
Thank you for your help!
If you need more information to help, please let me know.
Last edited by mfs (2012-12-17 20:19:12)
I finally found the culprit. According to this forum thread, the nvidia driver still contains a bug that makes cairo really slow. As the bug was wrongly marked fixed on the nvidia bug tracker some time ago, archlinux did not include the work-around patch in their cairo package anymore. So updating cairo, the bug came back to life. Having compiled cairo with the patch, Thunar is fast as usual again :-)