Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-05 19:29:19

rickcr

Confusion on finding image icon in a directory for launcher?

This is driving me crazy.  I want to make a launcher for an IDE I installed. It's installed in my home directory under "idea." The icon for this IDE is in ~/idea/bin but I can't seem to navigate there when I click the icon button and select "images." As far as I can navigate is to the "rick" directory under home. I even clicked the pencil icon thing and typed in the full path and I'm still unable to navigate there.

Here is a screen shot. Note I need to navigate with the directory highlighted to get to the png file in the idea/bin dir

http://tinyurl.com/bjvcxy9

(Note I had previously also manually created a idea.desktop file in /usr/bin/applications so it would show up in my main menu.  it would be nice if I could use that for my launcher and not have to make another one for the panel.)

#2 2013-01-07 17:19:42

wilker

Re: Confusion on finding image icon in a directory for launcher?

hi,

maybe this is because you are not root?
what about going to the picture location with thunar, copy it to under your /home/ folder?
for example, copy it to /.icons and try to choose it again.

regards

#3 2013-01-07 18:01:01

rickcr

Thanks wilker..

I'm not sure what root would have to do with it since I should at the least have permissions in my home directory. If you notice i that screen shot the directory I want to navigate to is in my home directory. I can't navigate into any of them. Copying to .icons under home won't work since it's the same issue, I can't drill down past home for some reason. This seems like a bug to me?

I'm sure if I copied the image file directly into my home directory it would work since I could navigate there (but no further), but this seems sort of lame just to set up a panel shortcut with an icon image.

#4 2013-01-07 19:57:07

wilker

rickcr wrote:

Thanks wilker..

I'm not sure what root would have to do with it since I should at the least have permissions in my home directory. If you notice i that screen shot the directory I want to navigate to is in my home directory. I can't navigate into any of them. Copying to .icons under home won't work since it's the same issue, I can't drill down past home for some reason. This seems like a bug to me?

I'm sure if I copied the image file directly into my home directory it would work since I could navigate there (but no further), but this seems sort of lame just to set up a panel shortcut with an icon image.

yes yes, but you mentioned you installed this package, right? if you compiled you had do have root permissions?
well, exactly like you are describing sounds really odd. did you recently created a new user, moved your files to this new user?

anyway, maybe would be a good idea to start thunar from the terminal, and see the logs. maybe we get a hint

regards

#5 2013-01-08 03:17:56

rickcr

Sorry wilker maybe I'm confused what you want me to do? I didn't even install the package per se, just extracted it. It could be a directory called "fooBar" with an image it for sake of my question.

For what it's worth I can navigate to the directory just fine using Thunar.

Thanks again for trying to help.

#6 2013-01-08 08:30:30

Nick
Dev
Website

So you cannot navigate into the directory if you double-click idea (or select and hit space)?

#7 2013-01-08 12:33:50

wilker

rickcr wrote:

Sorry wilker maybe I'm confused what you want me to do? I didn't even install the package per se, just extracted it. It could be a directory called "fooBar" with an image it for sake of my question.

For what it's worth I can navigate to the directory just fine using Thunar.

Thanks again for trying to help.

hi,
did you consider editing the launcher?
if the launched is at your desktop, right-click on it, and choose "open with mousepad" or your preferred text editor.
this is an example of the content:

[Desktop Entry]
Version=1.0
Type=Application
Name=Tor
Comment=
Exec=/home/wilker/.tor-browser_en-US/start-tor-browser
Icon=/home/wilker/.tor-browser_en-US/App/Firefox/icons/mozicon128.png
Path=
Terminal=false
StartupNotify=false

if your launcher isnt on your desktop, but on a panel, you should navigate to /your_name/.config/xfce4/panel

choose the launcher-n folder that has your launcher, open with mousepad and edit the icon location.

another guess:
is the left bar blocked as well? the "places" bar with downloads, music, rick, etc...
if not, you could try putting your icon under /Pictures, and choosing from clicking on the left bar

#8 2013-01-08 17:27:45

rickcr

Nick wrote:

(or select and hit space)?

WOW! space worked! Thanks

Sorry I'm still a Linux newb. Is that something I'm supposed to know about? Is that a feature across most distros?

No matter how I clicked in the dir in the launcher icon dialog it would not open the directory, but bingo space worked.

Thanks everyone for the help!

#9 2013-01-08 18:52:21

Nick
Dev
Website

Maybe your double-click time is too low? You can set this in the mouse settings -> behavior.

Board footer