Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-24 16:44:41

caibbor

File Chooser - I want to type my paths!

In the file chooser for geany, gedit, and many other applications, I'd like to be able to type a path instead of having to manually browse to files. It's completely ridiculous that there is no visible option to allow this.

I'm aware that this probably isn't an XFCE-specific problem.

exmaple screen shot (lacking a file path text box): http://bcaptain.net/filechooser.png

#2 2013-01-25 14:17:06

AnthLee

Re: File Chooser - I want to type my paths!

The file selection dialog does in fact have this functionality, the issue is it does not appear on the recently used option that many programs default to. I circled the button in red here: 7LvYcM4.png

IMHO all applications should default to /home, as I have never once been looking to open a recently used file, but they don't and GNOME inpaticular seems to have every program ever start with the recently used list. 

When on the Recently Used option, you can hit / then start typing /path/to/filename and hit enter to select the file. From everywhere else you can just start typing the /path/to/filename and hit enter. The button is there, but the only time I could see clicking it would be on a touchscreen?

Board footer