Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-01-30 17:09:36

diolu

No sound events

I am using xfce 4.10 with the current version of archlinux. My problem is that I can't enable sound events. I have checked the box in the configuration but I have no sound. This is not a permission or hardware problem since apps are able to play sound just fine. I have installed libcanbera (and libcanberra-gstreamer) as suggested but still nothing. I am using plain alsa for the sound (so no pulseaudio); I can run /usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play from the command line (I have tried

/usr/bin/canberra-gtk-play -f /usr/share/sounds/freedesktop/stereo/trash-empty.oga).

But when I empty the Trash, I have no sound at all. I am out of idea now. Any help?

Last edited by diolu (2013-01-30 17:11:40)

#2 2013-01-30 19:39:16

SantaFe

Re: No sound events

I hear you..... No pun intended wink    Music & video audio is fine, but I've got sound effects enabled, and the only sound effect I hear in Xfce 4.10 is when Thunderbird finishes loading e-mails, then I hear a beep.  Hmmm

I use Xfce.  Don't you wish Everyone did? big_smile

#3 2013-01-30 23:16:55

ToZ

A per this thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1869787, I've been able to get Xfce sounds to work in the past couple of versions of Xubuntu. YMMV with other distros, but it might point in the right direction.

#4 2013-02-01 14:55:37

narmod
Website

Besides enabling event sounds on the "Appearance" settings and installing canberra, you need to set the sound theme name. To do this, go to "Settings »  Settings Editor". Once there go to "xsettings" and on the right side scroll all the way down to "Net » SoundThemeName" and change it's value to freedesktop. If that doesn't work, try changing the theme, install or download and extract (in ~/.local/share/sounds/) a different theme. For me the theme called "Fresh and Clean" works well.

Also, just in case, go to "System » dconf", once there go to "org » gnome » desktop » sound" and check everything there and set the theme name as well.

Board footer