Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2012-06-11 02:43:50

acimmarusti

xfce power manager: settings ignored

Dear all

First time posting on this forum. I've been using xfce 4.8 on Debian wheezy. It works great except for the the power manager which is giving me many problems:

1. The brightness control does not work. After the time of inactivity is elapsed the brightness is not adjusted accordingly. Adjusting it manually via the panel plugin or using 'xbacklight' works as expected. Gnome3 power manager has no issue with this (just to point out that it's probably not a hardware issue).

2. The supposed 'presentation' mode does not work. LCD screen in laptop is still turned off after 10 min... Naturally VLC's own inhibition of power manager doesn't work either.

3. I wanted to watch a video online that normally lasts like 40 min, so I changed the threshold for putting the display of standy from 10 min to 50 min. Sadly, after 10 min the screen went blank.

I had xscreensaver, but I uninstalled it. My user is part of the powerdev group. Using lightdm. Kernel 3.2.19

Problem is present with both 1.0.11 and 1.2.0 versions of xfpm.
Debian bug report: http://bugs.debian.org/676854

In bug report you can find a text file attached in the last message in the thread about the debugging messages while running xfpm 1.2.0

I can't seem to find much information about these issues on the internet. Which means it works more or less well for everyone. Please help!
I really really don't want to pull in gnome3-power-manager...

Thanks

Andres

#2 2012-06-11 12:42:09

secipolla

Re: xfce power manager: settings ignored

acimmarusti wrote:

I can't seem to find much information about these issues on the internet. Which means it works more or less well for everyone.

Not necessarily. Sometimes people just don't bother to report that or use other hacks like disabling DPMS directly on xorg.conf.

#3 2012-08-01 01:55:17

acimmarusti

I finally managed to understand some of my problems and I found a satisfactory solution to 2 and 3:

2. The supposed 'presentation' mode does not work. LCD screen in laptop is still turned off after 10 min... Naturally VLC's own inhibition of power manager doesn't work either.

3. I wanted to watch a video online that normally lasts like 40 min, so I changed the threshold for putting the display of standy from 10 min to 50 min. Sadly, after 10 min the screen went blank.

The problem is that screen blanking is not turned off by xfpm. The output of the command 'xset q' showed me that my screensaver blanking was activated (despite NOT having xscreensaver installed). The best solution I found was to turn it off entirely using a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with this in it:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection

Alternatively, the command 'xset s off' or simply 'xset s noblank' can turn off the screen blanking.

With this annoying blanking out of the way, xfce power manager worked as expected. I can now change the time for the monitor to go on standby and go fully off. Presentation mode works as a charm as well.

The only thing that I can't seem to get working is the auto-brightness adjust. But this one does not bother me too much.

#4 2012-08-06 12:58:04

angstrom

You can run xfpm with --debug and look at the output to see what happen it normally have to adjust the brightness

Edit: oh, it seems that there is a patch available for the brightness bug ...

Last edited by angstrom (2012-08-06 13:01:22)

Xfce is NOT Xubuntu. Bugs in Xubuntu don't mean that Xfce is buggy ...

#5 2012-12-07 19:04:01

bwat47

Will we ever get a fix for the brightness bug? There's been absolutely no activity on the upstream bug since the initial patch. this is driving me insane sad

https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8840

The patch was posted to the debian bug tracker but apparently the debian devs didnt like the patch in its current state so there's been no movement there either.

Last edited by bwat47 (2012-12-07 21:11:51)

#6 2013-02-28 14:05:37

bwat47

happy to say the brightness bug finally seems to be fixed in XFCE 4.12. i'm using xubuntu 13.04 development release with 4.12 and all the brightness stuff is working as expected so far.

Last edited by bwat47 (2013-02-28 14:06:04)

#7 2013-02-28 14:24:04

ComputerBob
Website

acimmarusti wrote:

I finally managed to understand some of my problems and I found a satisfactory solution to 2 and 3:

The problem is that screen blanking is not turned off by xfpm. The output of the command 'xset q' showed me that my screensaver blanking was activated (despite NOT having xscreensaver installed). The best solution I found was to turn it off entirely using a configuration file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ with this in it:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection

Alternatively, the command 'xset s off' or simply 'xset s noblank' can turn off the screen blanking.

With this annoying blanking out of the way, xfce power manager worked as expected. I can now change the time for the monitor to go on standby and go fully off. Presentation mode works as a charm as well.

The only thing that I can't seem to get working is the auto-brightness adjust. But this one does not bother me too much.

Thank you - that "ServerFlags" code worked great for me -- no more screen blanking after 10 minutes!

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
ComputerBob.com - Nearly 6,000 Posts and 22 Million Views
My Ministry
Help! (off-topic)

#8 2015-04-19 02:23:18

georgeeipi

Does anyone know where the /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ file gone? I can't find it in the /etc/X11/  folder. Has it been replaced by another file? Or moved elsewhere?

#9 2015-04-19 04:10:06

angstrom

The /etc/x11/xorg.conf.d is not part of Xfce. It depends on your Linux Distribution.
I know that Debian use this folder  /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d

#10 2015-10-28 18:06:31

acimmarusti wrote:

Section "ServerFlags"
	Option "BlankTime" "0"
EndSection

Can I get a bit more info? Do I have to create a new file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, for example "screensaver.conf"?
If I want to use 'xset s off' or 'xset s noblank' do I have to run the commands at startup?

#11 2015-10-28 20:24:11

angstrom

8844 wrote:

Can I get a bit more info? Do I have to create a new file to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/, for example "screensaver.conf"?
If I want to use 'xset s off' or 'xset s noblank' do I have to run the commands at startup?

Yes and Yes.
Either your create a new file.conf in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/ (this folder may be different depending on your Linux distribution)
Or your run the xset command on startup

#12 2015-10-29 14:03:27

I don't have permissions for xorg.conf.d, I decided to run the command at startup.

#13 2015-11-01 16:41:19

I use 'xset s off' command to disable screen blanking. I decided to give the Xfce power manager another go, but the power saving features kicks on when watching a video (VLC). I have to completely rely my monitor's auto-off feature now.
I guess I'll have to try Caffeine next.

Last edited by 8844 (2015-11-01 16:43:08)

Board footer