Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-09 17:05:59

NuxIT

[Solved] Need Help Restoring Default xfce Panel Settings for Top and Bottom Bar

I managed to screw up my xfce desktop panel really bad and now everything shows up on the far left!! I got in worse trouble trying to following this guide which messed things up even more.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/224006/r … t-settings

I also tried following this guide to no avail.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/XubuntuPanels

While trying to follow the first guide I accidentally deleted my old panel settings. DOH. I think I might of deleted some gnome directory along the way that might of been related to the bottom menu but not sure?

So, I tried following some other guides to restore my Top panel by searching restore xfce panel settings but none of the guides have worked. In the process I managed to accidentally completely remove my bottom Panel / task bar as well! My bottom task bar started to mess up where it didn't show any applications just blank folders. So, I deleted each of the blank folders and now the menu is completely gone!!

I was wondering if their is a way to restore the panel using my guest account?? Because when I log in using the guest account the menus come up correctly. Or, can somebody copy there panel settings and zip them up for me to put in my panel directory? The directory is under ~/home/.cache/xfce/panel. Or at least it should be. I currently don't have this directory listed anymore under my user account.

Here's how my Panel currently looks under my users account. It's all messed up and I can't seem to get it back. I can't even tell what applications I have open anymore without hitting alt-tab.

paneljacked.png

And here's how I want it to look. This is what it looks like under my guest account. Anyway to copy my guest account panel settings over?

xfce-guest-sm.png

Thanks for any/all ideas and suggestions!! I was debating on trying to do an apt-get xfce or something to see if I could restore the whole xfce desktop but not sure about that?

Love tweaking on linux. I've been messing around with various distributions since 2001. I enjoyed running YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) on my Playstation 3 until Sony stopped supporting it..
Peace, Love, and Linux
PIII 600 with 512MB RAM (Under Minimum requirements)

#2 2013-03-10 00:56:00

Rayonant

Re: [Solved] Need Help Restoring Default xfce Panel Settings for Top and Bottom Bar

The directory where Xfce stores the configurations of the panel is

/home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/

Just erasing it and loging out and in will restore the defaults configurations that your distro ships in.

Last edited by Rayonant (2013-03-10 00:56:16)

#3 2013-03-10 05:09:09

NuxIT

Re: [Solved] Need Help Restoring Default xfce Panel Settings for Top and Bottom Bar

Rayonant wrote:

The directory where Xfce stores the configurations of the panel is

/home/user/.config/xfce4/panel/

Just erasing it and loging out and in will restore the defaults configurations that your distro ships in.

Yeah, that's a big part of the problem. I accidentally deleted that directory when I was *haphazardly* following the first procedure. The only reason I didn't want to reload the whole OS is because I have lots of custom firewall and file settings. I've already started to backup the system to my Blue Ray burner so I think I'll just start fresh. Do you know if a distribution upgrade is coming soon? I've been on 12.10, Quantal Quetzal for a while now. If it they pushed an upgrade I'm sure it would correct the problem. But seeing as I'm having problems with the repositories and applying updates I think I'm due for a fresh install. Not to mention the menus being jacked up is bugging the hell out of me. Time to re-familiarize myself with all the custom settings work I put into this... let the good times roll...

As a last resort I actually ran apt-get uninstall xfce4-panel.. This removed about 20MB of files. Then I ran apt-get install xfce4-panel and rebooted. Even this didn't work!

Love tweaking on linux. I've been messing around with various distributions since 2001. I enjoyed running YDL (Yellow Dog Linux) on my Playstation 3 until Sony stopped supporting it..
Peace, Love, and Linux

#4 2013-03-10 06:07:05

Rayonant

Uninstall the complete OS isn't necesary, Just deleting the config directory I told you, in the worst case escenario, it is simpler to create a new user an copy his configuration on to that directory, But I told again, did you remove it and rebot or at least logout? delting that directory wont touch anythin you have on the Firewall or the MIME type asociations.

#5 2013-03-10 15:16:08

NuxIT

Rayonant wrote:

Uninstall the complete OS isn't necesary, Just deleting the config directory I told you, in the worst case escenario, it is simpler to create a new user an copy his configuration on to that directory, But I told again, did you remove it and rebot or at least logout? delting that directory wont touch anythin you have on the Firewall or the MIME type asociations.

Excellent!!! Thanks a bunch Rayonant! I created a new user account and am in process of moving all my old user files over to the new account.

Menu bars are back and looking great! Thanks a ton for this great fix!

Peace, Love, and Linux

#6 2013-03-12 15:37:58

jack

tried removing the directory with:
rm -r /home/......

shut down the comp.
no bottom panel appeared when restarted.
what mistake have i made?
thanks

;

#7 2013-03-12 17:27:44

jack

Correction
I now have a bottom panel but it is about half an inch above the bottom of the screen and has no specific icons so cannot launch anything.(the icons are just dark grey rectangles,except for "home" and "trash")
There is also, at the top left of the screen,a black bar that partially covers the "file ,edit view,history" buttons.
Please help as I seem to be digging a bigger hole each time I try something.
Thanks

#8 2013-03-13 07:46:33

Rayonant

I am not really sure what the problem could be, but you could always rebuild the original configuration by adding the elements needed to the panels, or I you prefer it create a new user and copy his configurations to your home folder.

#9 2013-03-14 13:50:12

jack

many thanks for your reply.
I am using Xubuntu 1204.04.2
I am not sure what happened. I read a lot online and many pages have a horizontal scroll bar at the bottom of the screen. Attempting to use this gets the bottom panel launcher instead
I was attempting to see if i could find a way to lock the panel so as to hide it .
I do not know how to move the new panel down about half an inch to the bottom of the screen or how to create a new user and copy it .
Unfortunately even if I was successful (and with my luck I would dig a "bigger hole") I would be back to the launcher messing up the horizontal scroll bar.
I seem to remember some OS in the past that had a button at each end of the bottom panel which allowed one to click on it to bring up the panel and/or click on it to hide it. This, hopefully, would allow unobstructed use  of the scroll bar.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated
Thanks

#10 2013-03-15 06:16:36

Rayonant

It is just a matter of modifying your panel, seem that you are new to Linux and Xfce, you should check for start

http://docs.xubuntu.org/guide-desktop.h … appearance

Last edited by Rayonant (2013-03-15 06:17:07)

#11 2013-03-18 19:11:54

jack

Thank you for your advice
If I right click 0n a panel and select panel preferences I get a window with 10 buttons that are dark grey.
I want to have the firefox launcher on one of them but see no way of doing this
thanks

Board footer