Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-27 22:53:34

wannabegeek

[SOLVED]Mint 13, XFCE, can't restore password challenge at startup

Hi all,

I'm not sure that my issue with XCFE but I'lm still in the early stages of hunting this down.

When I first installed Mint 13 with XFCE, I opted out of the password challenge at the  initial login and I have only one user acct.
Now, I want a password protected login back...I have tried to use the desktop gui tool to do this, by unchecking the "enable automatic login" box,
from System -> Login Window -> Security 

After this attempted fix, the login prompt returned, but an empty entry doesn't cause an error, and the user account loads.

TIA !
wbg

Last edited by wannabegeek (2013-03-29 16:14:16)

#2 2013-03-28 10:15:24

Darktux

Re: [SOLVED]Mint 13, XFCE, can't restore password challenge at startup

Hi,
I'm not using Mint, but I believe you have also to uncheck the option of "passwordless" (not sure the exact terminology) login for that user.

#3 2013-03-28 17:08:06

wannabegeek

Thanks Darktux I'll look for that ....sounds familiar but I didn't see it.

#4 2013-03-28 19:11:05

wannabegeek

So I'm missing the usual users and group gui and thus there's no password options for me to manage.

Also, I'm suddenly missing the gui which controls the shutdown, restart and login choices....I have to do it from cli.
Oh yeah, my nm-applet is missing from the notification area in the panel....I'm having to add it to my ~/.config/startup...

I did some tweaking of my system recently, such as

sudo apt-get autoremove 

I wish I'd had saved the output from the autoremove, there were a bunch of lib* stuff from gnome...I bet that's my problem.

and I made these two launcher apps which turn off and on the xscreensaver using xscreensaver-command.

I'm about to be very busy with a cross country move for a new job and it's not a great time for reinstalling the XFCE desktop.

TIA to all who respond,
wbg

UPDATE: I had the "Enable Timed Login" box checked....now everything works as I wanted...

Last edited by wannabegeek (2013-03-29 16:15:03)

#5 2013-03-29 15:44:11

wannabegeek

I fixed my various problems created by autoremove  by installing xfce4-session...

to get the gui back to manage the login  I installed gnome-system-tools.

the link below shows how to use strace to find the config file that the gui uses in the case where you want to manage the options
via cli.

http://askubuntu.com/questions/108955/e … mmand-line

however, after logging out, I was still able to login without entering a password, even though the gui Users and Groups
is set to require one....

Last edited by wannabegeek (2013-03-29 15:48:03)

Board footer