Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-04-17 01:07:49

Sideburns
Website

Turning off tooltips in 4.10

I've never liked the tooltips that pop up when I put my mouse on an icon.  I consider them redundant, because they only tell me about the .desktop file and nothing about the program (or whatever) it represents.  When I upgraded to Xfce 4.10 on my laptop (with Fedora 17) I found that by turning off thumbnails on the Icon tab of Desktop settings, I got rid of them.  (or at least appeared to)  I've just upgraded Xfce on my desktop, also using F 17.  Alas, not only are those unwanted popups bigger and more obtrusive than ever, I don't seem to be able to get rid of them.  Any suggestions?

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2013-04-17 02:31:15

ozjd
Website

Re: Turning off tooltips in 4.10

Hi Sideburns

Answer is here - https://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7714

#3 2013-04-17 02:57:57

Sideburns
Website

Yes, and following that advice screwed things up.  Not only didn't it work, it munged some other settings.  I had to comment out the change, log out and back again, then correct the settings on the cairo-clock which managed to mess themselves up somehow.

#4 2013-04-17 04:14:29

ozjd
Website

Sideburns wrote:

Yes, and following that advice screwed things up.  Not only didn't it work, it munged some other settings.  I had to comment out the change, log out and back again, then correct the settings on the cairo-clock which managed to mess themselves up somehow.

Sorry that happened. I'm don't know why it would affect it. Do you use Cairo-dock or just the clock? If so I believe you can disable tooltips in its configuration. I don't use it so not sure of the process but there is info on their site.

I don't actually disable the tooltips as while I agree with your comment about the launcher info I find that the info on external drives useful. It shows the status. mounted or not, and location. If I could disable some tips and keep others that would be useful.

BTW I'm on F17 with 4.10 too.

Last edited by ozjd (2013-04-17 04:15:40)

#5 2013-04-17 07:12:12

Sideburns
Website

I just use cairo-clock.  It got real big, and only showed one quarter of the clock face until I went into the properties, made the face real small and brought it back to normal size.  And, BTW, the tooltips on all of my icons are over twice as big as they were before I upgraded.

Board footer