Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#51 2013-05-05 13:04:54

MagnusBerg

Re: Which Xfce Distro?

stqn wrote:
MagnusBerg wrote:

Right now I run Xfce4 4.10 that's not in unstable yet... And more "unstable" than unstable is the Debian Experimental repository. I took the main Xfce4 4.10 packages from there. The Xfce4 4.10 plugins packages have I taken from the Ubuntu repository.

Your post makes me want to switch from Arch to Debian unstable, or at least make it high in my list, but it’s weird that Xfce 4.10 is not in unstable yet! It’s one year old and I haven’t had any problem with it since it was introduced into Arch.

I got a better tips, than mix repositories, in this tread
http://forum.xfce.org/viewtopic.php?id=7946

demosthenese wrote:

It is not generally considered a good idea to mix debian and ubuntu repositories. You can install 4.10 from the following repository for sid:

deb http://ftp.spline.de/pub/siduction/xfcenext/ unstable main

There is no apt-key, so you will need to ignore the warning about lacking a public key.

Siduction is a Debian live cd version that I don't know anything about. ;-) But the packages works great in Sid.

Last edited by MagnusBerg (2013-05-05 13:07:53)

#52 2013-05-05 16:11:43

ComputerBob
Website

ninos wrote:

Fedora 18

Wow, you've convinced me to switch.  wink

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
http://www.ComputerBob.com
My New Ministry

#53 2013-06-20 18:48:41

ruziel

When I first moved from XP to Linux in December last year, I first tried Mint before discovering the wonderfully light, fast rolling release that is Manjaro Linux. Xfce is the default desktop & after 5 months of running my business & general virtual life on it, I have never looked back. It's still in beta but already rock solid. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a fast & light distro with a well integrated Xfce DE.

#54 2013-06-22 03:34:47

MountainDewManiac

Just wanted to mention that Mint 15's Xfce DE version is now in the testing stage.

http://community.linuxmint.com/iso

#55 2013-06-27 15:44:58

bhatta
Website

Hi there...
Am using Ubuntu Studio...
By default it has Xfce...
Am loving it...

Thanks...

live long & prosper,
bhatta

#56 2013-06-27 23:54:16

MountainDewManiac

bhatta wrote:

Hi there...
Am using Ubuntu Studio...
By default it has Xfce...
Am loving it...

Thanks...

I was under the impression that only Xubuntu used Xfce for the default DE.

Out of curiousity, after you first boot Ubuntu Studio, the desktop loads, and the hard drive activity light goes out, how much RAM is being used at that point?

If you aren't sure how to tell, you can add System Load Monitor to one of your Xfce panels and hover your mouse cursor over the "mem" bar for a few seconds.

Thanks,
MDM

EDIT: Courtesy requires that I post my own results: I am running 32-bit Mint 14 Xfce, with all the updates that adding the Xfce 4.10 and 4.12 PPAs bring. On a fresh boot to the desktop, and after waiting approximately three minutes to make sure that everything is loaded (and giving Update Manager enough time to do its check, I suppose), I see 166 megs of RAM being used. That's with two desktop panels (one on top of the screen, one on the bottom) and a bunch of applets running on the panels - including the XfApplet applet, which I use to run "mintMenu 5.3.8" Advanced Gnome Menu. I think someone said it takes close to 20 megs by itself, but I am not sure. I'm wondering if this figure - 166 megs - is considered good (low), high, or about average.

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2013-06-28 00:08:04)

#57 2013-06-28 04:50:47

bhatta
Website

Out of curiousity, after you first boot Ubuntu Studio, the desktop loads, and the hard drive activity light goes out, how much RAM is being used at that point?

I checked that out.. and got nearly 400 megs after the software updation notification was complete... so i am guessing urz is on the lower side...

Also , UStudio hav been using Xfce from sometime in '11 or prior to that, if I am not mistaken ... had Ustudio 12.04 installed n that also had Xfce DE by default...
Ustudio loads up quiet a few things at start up so am guessing thatz what is causin the ram usage.. Also I boot up F.lux on start up n i hav no clue how much ram that uses... btw, my total ram is 3430 megs....

I hav 2 panels... the top 1 is customized n lower panel only has the 4 workspaces to it n nothing else.. if u want u can hav a look at my desktop here:

http://artbhatta.deviantart.com/art/Scr … -381021192

Thanks...

live long & prosper,
bhatta

#58 2013-06-28 07:57:05

bhatta
Website

sakamoto wrote:

Ubuntu is fine to get started for newly converted ex Windows users smile But after the learning period of 2 years distro hopping almost all users will move to distributions like Debian, Suse and Fedora. For me personally, there is only 1 distribution and it is Debian :-)

Debian all the way my friends... because of its stability, its philosophy, its developers, its high quality packaging system,... because Debian is a way of life big_smile

In case someone is interested to move to Debian... please use already the 'soon-to-become-stable' wheezy version as squeeze is too outdated right now.

I wanted to install debian wheezy a month back.. used it in VBox and felt this is the distro for me... after all it is the 'father' of all buntus right..

once installed in my laptop i spent 3 sleepless nights and couldn't get the ati driver to work....
let go of debian then...

am not new to linux but come on man some things should be easy... right? like a right driver for a ati 6 series card !!!

i am no computer xpert n debian ain't helping me out..
their forums say things in a way that take into account that u r at least an advanced user...
I am not!

really sorry had to say goodbye to Debian.. but i liked the little xperience i had with it...
thanks...

live long & prosper,
bhatta

#59 2013-06-28 13:29:41

MountainDewManiac

bhatta wrote:

I hav 2 panels... the top 1 is customized n lower panel only has the 4 workspaces to it n nothing else.. if u want u can hav a look at my desktop here:

http://artbhatta.deviantart.com/art/Scr … -381021192

Figured I'd make a screenshot as well. I normally have my panels set to auto-hide, and I have Xfce set to change my background image every minute, so for the most part my desktop just shows one of a number of nature scenes/landscapes, lol. I've also got RadioTray running, which adds (?) megs to my RAM usage. Thumbnail opens full-sized image (hosted on zimagez):

screenshot-06282013-092047am.php

And one showing the extra menu I added (largely so I could set it up with "favorite" apps):
screenshot-06282013-092724am.php

BtW... I think I replied to you in another thread thinking that you were using Debian as your only distro. Apologies for being confused.

Regards,
MDM

#60 2013-06-28 16:07:59

bhatta
Website

okiez... apology accepted..
cudn't make head or tail of what u wrote there anyway...

Yep I use UStudio n not debian... tried it for a week , liked it tho'....

live long & prosper,
bhatta

#61 2013-06-28 17:07:13

ComputerBob
Website

MountainDewManiac wrote:

http://mylinuxexplore.blogspot.com/2013 … asion.html

ComputerBob - Making Geek-Speak Chic (TM)
http://www.ComputerBob.com
My New Ministry

#62 2013-07-25 14:47:46

cub

I mainly use Ubuntu Studio 12.04 which is distributed with Xfce as default. I used to run Xubuntu on my eee pc but recently switched to Debian Wheezy with Xfce instead since it used a bit less resources and I liked the idea of coming closer to the source. Since *buntu is based on Debian, why not run Debian directly. But for my main laptop it's still Ubuntu Studio since I do some audio and video editing. I like the look and convenience.

#63 2013-07-25 20:21:33

jsalpha2

Quote  "really sorry had to say goodbye to Debian.. but i liked the little xperience i had with it..."  you may want to try SolydX 
http://solydxk.com/   It is Debian based, but is easier because it has non-free built in.  You get the real Firefox with plug-ins, and
driver installation is handled by the Device Driver Manager.  The forum is friendly and will help and be glad you are there.

Board footer