Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-12 11:37:16

BlaiseP

Greetings to all and sundry

Just converted over to XFCE after much aggravation from the Land o' Gnomes.

On a vanilla install of Fedora 17 and a fresh install of xfce from yum (which did the best it could to find the apps ) perhaps half the menu items from Gnome made it successfully onto the Application Menu.  Most troubling is the Settings -> Main Menu Editor, which runs nothing.

What follows is not a request for hand-holding:  but I've already been down both the alacarte and lxmed routes.  Neither worked for me coming out of the yum repositories.

In short. though I'm fairly new to XFCE, it seems to need its own menu editor.  I'd be perfectly willing to write a proper editor. -- hence my arrival here at xfce.org.   

Alacarte doesn't work:  the following traceback has been a problem for some time.

# alacarte
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 36, in <module>
    main()
  File "/usr/bin/alacarte", line 33, in main
    app.run()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 64, in run
    self.loadMenus()
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 203, in loadMenus
    self.on_menu_tree_cursor_changed(menu_tree)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 354, in on_menu_tree_cursor_changed
    self.loadItems(self.menu_store[menu_path][2], menu_path)
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MainWindow.py", line 217, in loadItems
    for item, show in self.editor.getItems(menu):
  File "/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/Alacarte/MenuEditor.py", line 145, in getItems
    item = item_iter.get_separator()
AttributeError: 'TreeIter' object has no attribute 'get_separator'

I'm in no mood to mess with alacarte with all its gnome dependences.  Either it works out of yum or it's broken, in my opinion:  gnome-menus is up to date on my system and alacarte still fails.

lxmed is beyond useless:  It can't find the appropriate menu structures: what it does find doesn't correspond to what XFCE installed.  Adding menu items via lxmed produces no changes:  Lord knows what it's doing in there but it's all wrong.  I'll see if I can't get in contact with Marko Čičak but the whole app is over Java Swing and can't even add a category.  The lxmed documentation is equally worthless.

Where would I start with this XFCE menu project, or more importantly, who would I turn to were I inclined to write such an application?  I'm finding bits and pieces of menus all over the place, in $HOME/.config/xfce4 and /usr/share/xf*

I apologise if this sounds a bit rant-y.  But I'm quite serious about writing a better editor... to that end, I'm finally getting off my dead ass and offering to write one.

#2 2013-05-12 22:45:14

ozjd
Website

Re: Greetings to all and sundry

There is a thread on the Fedora forum that includes a section on manually editing the menu. It could be a good starting point. It has a good overview of where the menu files are. http://forums.fedoraforum.org/showthread.php?t=265583
There was a Xfce menu editor many versions ago but it was updated. It is something that is needed.

Board footer