Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-14 23:22:37

Sideburns
Website

Clipman Issue

I'm running Xfce 4.10 on Fedora 17.  Until recently, Clipman did exactly what I wanted it to do.  Now, every time I highlight something in Firefox to search on Wikipedia or a search engine, Clipman saves a copy.  It also saves a copy when I highlight part of an email in Thunderbird, so that I can reply only to that one part.  That's not what I want.  I want it to save what I select if and only if I use Copy, either from the context menu, or from ^C.  And, before anybody asks, I've checked several times and Ignore Selections is checked in the General Options.

There are two things I'd like to know.  First, of course, if there's a way to correct this.  Second, are other people having the same difficulty, because if so, I can open a Bugzilla for this.  (If I'm the only one seeing this, it's not a bug, there's something wrong at my end.)

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#2 2013-05-14 23:44:02

daggoth

Re: Clipman Issue

I am still on a xfce 4.8, so my clipman is not the latest. As I understand it, the primary selection and the default clipboard are treated separately by xfce4-clipman, and by clipboard managers in general. But I see two options in the clipman properties that can affect this.

Sync selections :- if checked, the selections will be synced with the defauit clipboard in a way that you can paste what you select.

Ignore selections :- if checked, the selections won't affect the history, except the manual copies.

I have had what you described, and it is super annoying. In my settings, "Sync selections" is unchecked, whereas "Ignore selections" is checked.

#3 2013-05-15 00:16:32

Sideburns
Website

In mine, Both are checked.  However, if you highlight something on a web page, right-click and look it up on Wikipedia, you can't (normally) paste what you highlighted into an email, unless you also copy it.  Until recently, Clipman worked the same way.  Now, I'm using Clipman 1.2.3 and there doesn't seem to be a way to keep things I just highlight out of Clipman's list of selections.  If you're having the same issue, and are using the same version of Clipman, it's not just me, and worth reporting as a bug.

#4 2013-05-15 03:46:45

daggoth

It sounds like you have Sync selections checked, whereas I have it unchecked. So have you tried unchecking it, and then testing clipman's behavior again?

I have had "Sync selections" checked in the past, and clipman started to save selections, similar to what you've described. So it was then quickly unchecked to fix things. Either that fixes it for you, or else it sounds like a genuine bug.

#5 2013-05-15 05:01:35

Sideburns
Website

Well, I've disabled that, but it doesn't sound right.  The way the Help page is written, it looks like you can't paste what's been selected without it being checked.  Of course, that would make the program completely useless, so I'll see what happens.

Board footer