Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-25 19:35:00

AaylaSecura

How can I implement the directory menu plugin in the XFCE menu?

Greetings!
Firstly, I apologize if this has been answered before. I know a lot of people have been wanting the Places menu in the main menu, but I couldn't find a way to get what I wish.
I am trying to implement the directory menu plugin into the main XFCE menu. I know how to edit the layout of the menu and create new directories, categories, shortcuts, etc. But I don't know how I can create such a recursive directory within it. I am talking about this plugin: http://oi42.tinypic.com/5fnf9s.jpg
Any ideas?

If it moves, compile it.

#2 2013-05-27 12:59:24

AaylaSecura

Re: How can I implement the directory menu plugin in the XFCE menu?

Alternatively, I would be happy if I can just replace the icon of the plugin with a label (or a rectangular icon, where I can write a label). Any ideas on that?

If it moves, compile it.

#3 2013-05-27 14:42:27

ToZ
Administrator

If you right-click the icon and select Properties, you can change the plugin to display a label instead of an icon, as well as change the text in the label. Is this what you are looking for?

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#4 2013-05-27 14:47:02

AaylaSecura

Hi and thanks for replying! I think you are referring to the "Places" plugin, not "Directory menu". The former on does indeed have the option, but the properties window for the directory menu plugin looks like this: http://oi41.tinypic.com/2cg0sw1.jpg
I don't see an option to display a label instead of an icon...

If it moves, compile it.

#5 2013-05-28 17:05:51

AaylaSecura

I might have an idea for a workaround, but I ran into a small problem. I noticed the command to pop up the menu is: /usr/bin/xfce4-panel --plugin-event=directorymenu:popup:bool:false
I could use that to add a launcher (with a label) that will execute this (I need to have plugin on the panel though, but it's not a problem, cause I can just place it beside the launcher and set a transparent icon to effectively hide it). The problem is that my gtk theme changes the appearance of active windows/menus, so when I click on the launcher or the directory menu itself only the directory menu is active (or when I hover above them with the mouse one or the other is in focus). Is there a ways to sort of bind the launcher to the dir-menu, so it gets focus whenever the dir-menu does and so that it stays active while the dir-menu is active too?

I also tried downloading the source code for xfce4-panel and looking at the code for the plugin, but (as I expected) it is split into too many files, includes too many libraries and I would have to study the entire code to edit it. Is anyone familiar with it or have an idea if (and how) I can take the snippet of code describing the plugin button and replace it with the code for a button that does support a label (e.g. the applications menu).

I realize all of this is too much work for something which does not cause problems, but I need to get rid of all icons on the panel and just be left with labels.

If it moves, compile it.

Board footer