Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-03-27 01:24:28

MountainDewManiac

Thunar: Two Suggestions / Feature Requests

Hello,

Still loving Xfce and I have been using the Xfce apps instead of their heavier counterparts - and that includes Thunar since 1.6.2 has the tabs feature.

There are two things that I miss from when I was using another desktop environment that included Nautilus instead of Thunar:

1. I was able to set it up so that when I was viewing the files as icons, the file-sizes appeared below the file names under each icon. That way I didn't end up switching back and forth from icon view to detailed view.

2. I was (somehow, do not remember how) able to set it up so that, if the file was an audio file, I could hover my mouse cursor over the icon and the audio file would start playing, for a "preview."

Are there any plans to add the above features to Thunar? I don't know how difficult it would be, whether or not it would add a lot of "bloat" to the app or, indeed, whether or not there is any interest.

Thank you for all that you do,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#2 2013-05-26 20:06:07

PaperNick

Re: Thunar: Two Suggestions / Feature Requests

I agree these are some good features, but I think Thunar's main goal is to be as light as possible.

I think the second point is not important now. More important is to include other basic features such as Safe Removal. I've search all over the internet for a solution to Safely Remove Devices in Xfce, but with no success. The only way is to use the command-line udisks or palimpsest (graphical app) (both are the same). Every file manager I've tried so far has this feature, but in Thunar is missing. Thunar is my favourite lightweight File Manager by far and I hope you guys to include this feature in the next version.

Cheers!
Nick

#3 2013-05-26 21:47:22

rijnsma

Isn't it so that you always can put it in from the repository? smile

Last edited by rijnsma (2013-05-26 21:49:58)

#4 2013-05-27 01:58:14

stqn

We have been able to unmount volumes from thunar since a long time ago. Just click on the arrow that appears next to mounted volumes.

#5 2013-05-27 07:50:53

PaperNick

I know but that only unmounts the Device. When I click on Safe Removal in Palimpsest my device shuts down completely. I think this feature must be implemented like the unmount function.

#6 2013-05-27 08:08:25

k-bag
Website

Hi.

PaperNick wrote:

I know but that only unmounts the Device. When I click on Safe Removal in Palimpsest my device shuts down completely. I think this feature must be implemented like the unmount function.

Install "ejecter" to have possibility to unmount devices from the panel.

#7 2013-05-27 08:17:23

PaperNick

I'll stick with Palimpsest for now...

Screenshot_27_05_2013_11_15_02.jpg

Last edited by PaperNick (2013-05-27 08:17:33)

#8 2013-05-27 08:25:23

k-bag
Website

PaperNick wrote:

I can see why big_smile

Strange, in my Xubuntu12.04 ejecter works just fine, and has never crashed.

#9 2013-05-27 17:06:37

paolo321

In the case a dev is reading this, I add some things to the wishlist:

* support for .xdg-volume-info files (to use custom drive icons, asked about that much time ago, seems due to a gtk-gnome bug, I don't remember anymore...)
* text files thumbnails like gnome 2 (showing inside text)
* drag and drop or paste text into a folder or desktop creates a text file containing it (like gnome 2)
* when double clicking executable text files, ask if run or open with editor
* custom columns like nautilus
* as already said, ability to "safely remove drive" not just unmount

Obviously adding everything could be not OK for a lightweight file manager, I just posted this so maybe someone may think about it...
Thank you anyway for your work!

#10 2013-05-27 17:45:13

MountainDewManiac

What's the difference between "safely remove" and "unmount?" I had assumed that it was just semantics, that "safely remove" was the same function and just a transplant from Microsoft Windows, where users might not know what mounting/unmounting means.

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#11 2013-05-27 19:43:54

PaperNick

MountainDewManiac wrote:

What's the difference between "safely remove" and "unmount?" I had assumed that it was just semantics, that "safely remove" was the same function and just a transplant from Microsoft Windows, where users might not know what mounting/unmounting means.

Actually, I was asking myself this question long time ago and I though there was no difference until I plugged out my usb and after the second plug in, it dind't show up, like it was broken. I had to delete the partition of the USB then create a new volume in order to work again...

I don't know what's the difference, but I think that with safe removal you detach the device virtually, then physically. Plus when I click unmount, my device doesn't disappear from desktop but stays invisible and ready for use.

I'm really glad that someone is actually reading our posts and has intention of doing something. If those features in the list below could be implemented, the file manager would have a finished look and touch. My suggestion is to make some of the features choosable so that the user can decide for himself, whether they are heavy or not.

Edit: As I was shifting around my the icons in the side pane, I noticed that I can't move the system icons or do anything else with them (Home, File System...). Another feature that you can include, as I think, is the ability to add new categories in Side Pane and also separators also. :)

Cheers!

Last edited by PaperNick (2013-05-27 19:56:17)

#12 2013-05-28 16:40:21

paolo321

MountainDewManiac wrote:

What's the difference between "safely remove" and "unmount?

udisks --detach

detaches the drive (from man udisks).

For example, my external hard disk if just unmounted stays on until cable is disconnected, while with safely remove it is powered down via software.
Then I need to disconnect-reconnect it to use it again (or maybe there is some software trick to power it on again ???)

I prefer to use "software power down" before disconnecting it, but I'm not sure if I'm just paranoid or if it's really safer.
... Remembering when on my 386DX you had to run "park" before shutting down pc :-P

Board footer