Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-05-28 20:02:24

KitchM

Unwanted Screen and Sound Blanking

I do not even know if this is an Xfce issue, but I have to start somewhere.

In the Xfce Settings Manager, I have turned off all screen savers.  However, the screen still goes blank and any sounds that are playing also stop, until I move the mouse.

Is this a problem with Xfce, or should I look elsewhere?

I am using Xfce 4.10.1 on Fedora 18.

Thanks much.

#2 2013-05-28 23:42:22

MountainDewManiac

Re: Unwanted Screen and Sound Blanking

Even if a screen-saver were set up and active, its operation should not mute your computer's audio. Mine never has (including now).

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-05-29 00:21:44

demosthenese

It may be that your computer is suspending after a set period of inactivity. Check your power settings - Settings->Power Manager.

Last edited by demosthenese (2013-05-29 00:21:58)

#4 2013-05-29 03:36:58

KitchM

Thanks everyone.

Yes, MountainDewManiac, I have never heard of this ever before.  And I do mean ever in thirty years.

Good point, demosthenese, but when I went to check it, it responded that it is not running, and offered to start it.  How do you like that?  I didn't even know it didn't start up, until I remembered that I had unchecked it as not needed during startup.  So I guess that was correct operation.

But still, the problem exists.  Weird, ain't it?

#5 2013-05-29 04:33:26

ozjd
Website

Actually it is a known problem with F18, fixed for F19. It is systemd and xfce's power manager not talking. See https://lists.fedoraproject.org/piperma … 01737.html for a discussion on a similar problem.

#6 2013-05-29 14:22:49

KitchM

Thanks for that insightful reply.  It was good to know that there actually is a cause for the problem.  I read and followed the links and learned that there is indeed a programming flaw in the process where one application or utility function clashes with another from someone else.

The solution appears to be that the DE must learn to work with the underlying OS configuration possibilities.  I wonder if it might be wise to offer a settings interface to systemd rather than putting in a set of contol functions that may not work with the underlying functions of the OS.  What do you think?

#7 2013-05-29 22:19:26

ozjd
Website

I think the problem from a DE point of view is that it needs to work with whatever the OS provides. If something like systemd exists it needs to be aware of it. If it doesn't then the DE needs to provide that function. Of course sometime in the future systemd will be replaced with some new system and it will happen all over again. The solution for F19 seems to work from all reports. Whatever solution is provided it should be invisible to a user setting the options in a GUI.

#8 2013-05-30 00:10:36

KitchM

Quite so, ozjd.  My thoughts exactly.

And you are correct to point out to everyone that this may change yet again in the future.  The only constant is change, after all.

I also concur with the observation that the user should not have to worry about what is going on behind the scenes.  A lot of GUI designers don't quite get that fact.  And in my experience, that is where most software falls down. Even something a good as Xfce.  There is a lot of the interface that needs to be tweaked with that in mind.

Thanks for your good help, and everyone else as well.  I will look forward to F19 to see what improves.

Board footer