Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-06-26 16:08:43

KitchM

Xfce Desktop Crash

Thought I'd better report this crash.  I am using Fedora 18 with Xfce 4.10.1, and I received an error message from the Automatic Bug Reporting Tool.  I would post it here, but I don't know how.

#2 2013-06-26 22:17:47

Sideburns
Website

Re: Xfce Desktop Crash

This is a Fedora issue, not an Xfce issue.  Tell Abrt to report the error to Bugzilla for you.  If you don't already have an account there, go to https://bugzilla.redhat.com/ and create one first.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#3 2013-06-27 00:04:45

KitchM

Why do you think it is a Fedora issue?  You failed to explain.  Please do so.

#4 2013-06-27 00:31:02

Sideburns
Website

Abrt, the Automatic Bug Reporting Tool you mentioned is Fedora-specific.  (I know; I use Fedora.)  Also, there's nothing in your original post to suggest that it isn't.  (The fact that you're using Xfce doesn't mean that all bugs, crashes and/or errors are Xfce-specific, you know.)   The easiest way to report this is to allow abrt to do the job, which will put it into the Fedora Bugzilla.  if you'd rather report it here, click on the link BUGS at the top of this page, which will take you to the Xfce Bugzilla, where you can create an account and report the bug.  It's your call, of course, but using abrt will automate most of the process for you.

#5 2013-06-27 15:03:42

KitchM

There would be something in my original post if I could find a way to post the screen shot showing the rest of the story.  Then you would also know that abrt would not report it since it appears to be Xfce-specific.

#6 2013-06-27 23:48:33

MountainDewManiac

If it's not a "complete" crash, you might see if your print screen button (might need to hold your Fn key to use it if it is a laptop) will work. On a working Xfce system, it'll ask you which portion of the screen to make an image of, then "take the picture," then allow you to save the image, copy it to your clipboard, open with {your default image viewer}, or upload to ZimageZ.

If it is a complete crash, you'd have to use a digital camera or your cell phone if it includes an image sensor on it. Or use a traditional film camera, develop it, scan it to a computer/digital media, and upload it (but that seems like a RPitA).

I find myself wondering, though... Linux seems to eat, drink, and breathe log files. If your system was still functioning well enough to run some kind of automatic bug reporting app, I'd assume that it also managed to write pertinent details of your issue to a log (possibly more than one?).

And this bug reporting tool you mention, I don't know about it because Fedora isn't my distro, but the following web page mentions backtraces, analyzer plugins, and reporter plugins. Maybe you can get information from the bug report tool directly, somehow?

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/15/html/Deployment_Guide/ch-abrt.html

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#7 2013-06-28 00:01:33

Sideburns
Website

If abrt isn't cooperating with you and you don't want to file a report on the Xfce bugzilla, try going to http://fedoraforum.org and asking about how to get abrt to do what you need.  One way or another, you probably need to file a bug report, and that's what abrt is designed to do.

#8 2013-06-28 17:30:25

KitchM

Thanks MDM, but I just want to show the results in a file here.  I guess the answer is that it cannot be done, and one must use the bugzilla.

#9 2013-06-28 18:44:23

Sideburns
Website

More accurately, using the bugzilla is the right way to do it.  If you post the file here, only people who chance to read this thread will see it.  If you use the bugzilla, the people maintaining the programs in question will examine it.  Is there a reason you don't want it called to their attention?

#10 2013-06-28 18:52:03

KitchM

Nope, of course not.

This post is closed.

Board footer