Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-04 11:40:21

nightpad

Three issues with xfce (sdcard mount, digicam and postsession...)

Hello.

Because I don't like unity, I changed from ubuntu to xubuntu. But I have three minor issues with xfce, which I cannot solve by myself.
Also google did not give me a concrete help.

1. When I connect my digicam with a gnome-based distro, ubuntu detects it and starts gthumb and it's dialog to import the pictures.
Of course I have thunar-vol installed and the needed connection in the thunar media preferences. But the digicam is shown "greyed"
on the xfce desktop and I have to mount it manually or via double-click to be able to import from there.
Importing via gphoto works from a script - but the gthumb-dialog not without a mount.
How can I make xfce behave like gnome in this thing...?

2. I use a sd-card in the internal sd-card-reader in my thinkpad for my mp3 collection. When I start a gnome based distro, this sd
card is mounted automatically and I can give it as a source for a media-player like rhythmbox or gmusicbrowser.
In xfce I have the same behaviour like the digicam - I have to mount it manually or via double-click, before my media-player finds
it. This is annoying, because before I start the player, I always have to remind to do so, because otherwise I have to re-scan my
music-collection in the media-player.

Of course, I can make a directory in /media and set an entry to fstab. But this only work with this unique sd-card and when I
change it, I have the same effect. And at start, I get an error, when I do not have the sdcard inserted.

How can I get rid of these problems?

USB-Sticks and external Harddiscs work perfectly and were automounted each time, I connect them!

3. In gdm - based distros I can give my desktop a /gdm/PostSessionDefault to make such things like playing a "shutdown - sound"
when I shut my pc down.
But how and where can I do so in xubuntu? (xfce)

I know there is a lightdm.conf, but my tries to make a link to a script did not work.

I would be thankful for any hints.

Regards
nightpad

Last edited by nightpad (2013-07-04 11:41:42)

#2 2013-07-05 07:38:36

nightpad

Re: Three issues with xfce (sdcard mount, digicam and postsession...)

Hi again :-)

For issue three (shutdown sound), I've found a solution.
It's described here...

https://www.ultimateeditionoz.com/forum … hp?p=40595

Regards
nightpad

#3 2013-07-06 15:12:06

stqn

Re: Three issues with xfce (sdcard mount, digicam and postsession...)

nightpad wrote:

2. I use a sd-card in the internal sd-card-reader in my thinkpad for my mp3 collection. When I start a gnome based distro, this sd
card is mounted automatically and I can give it as a source for a media-player like rhythmbox or gmusicbrowser.
In xfce I have the same behaviour like the digicam - I have to mount it manually or via double-click, before my media-player finds
it. This is annoying, because before I start the player, I always have to remind to do so, because otherwise I have to re-scan my
music-collection in the media-player.

There’s probably a way to make a udev rule to automount your stuff, but I don’t know much about udev. What I did was to add stuff like this in /etc/rc.local:

(sleep 4 && [ -e /dev/disk/by-label/Data ] && mount /dev/disk/by-label/Data)&

You must also have a corresponding entry in /etc/fstab, with the noauto option, for example:

LABEL=Data            /mnt/data       ntfs-3g  defaults,umask=077,uid=1000,gid=100,users,exec,noauto,noatime 0 0

Arguably this is a bit of a hack, but it’s been working for many months (didn’t try under Xubuntu though.)

EDIT: Also see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Autom … Partitions; using "udisks --mount" instead of mount should remove the need for an fstab entry, and use the same mountpoint that you’re used to.

If you use udisks you also don’t need to edit /etc/rc.local but can use the Session and Startup settings of Xfce to launch udisks.

Last edited by stqn (2013-07-06 15:24:02)

Board footer