Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-07-09 02:37:42

John_Jason_Jordan

Places panel widget issues

I have Fedora 16 x86_64 on my laptop with Xfce. When I started with Fedora it was Fedora 11 and have done dist-upgrades ever since. I started with Gnome but installed KDE (didn't like it) and finally Xfce. The other desktops are still installed, although I never log in to them.

For a long time the Places widget in the panel has been driving me nuts. I click a place and it opens it in Nautilus rather than Thunar. Finally, in desperation, I uninstalled Nautilus. OK, now Places no longer opens things in Nautilus, it opens them in Konqueror! Good grief!

I thought Thunar was the default browser for Xfce. How can I convince the Places widget to use Thunar?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2013-07-09 03:46:29

MountainDewManiac

Re: Places panel widget issues

Hmm... Settings/Preferred Applicatons, click on the Utilities tab, under File Manager select Thunar?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#3 2013-07-09 04:03:45

John_Jason_Jordan

MountainDewManiac wrote:

Hmm... Settings/Preferred Applicatons, click on the Utilities tab, under File Manager select Thunar?

Thanks for the suggestion. Thunar was already selected. The Places widget still launches Konqueror.

Linguistics on Linux!

#4 2013-07-09 05:24:49

MountainDewManiac

I did some searching. I suspect that you might be using an old version of the xfce4-places-plugin. Please check (you can find out by running Synaptic Package Manager - or whatever package manager your system uses - and typing xfce4-places-plugin) to see if you are using a version older than 1.4.0. The current version is 1.5, but a bug that fits your description was patched in 1.4.0.

The plugin currently calls the file manager via exo instead of running Thunar directly, if I am understanding correctly. This should run the file manager that you set as your default using the Preferred Applications settings. You can check to make sure that the setting is correct (and being acted on correctly in general) by opening a terminal window and typing:

exo-open --launch FileManager

If that command runs Thunar (assuming that is your chosen default file manager), and you are using a version of the plugin older than 1.4.0, your best bet would be to update it to the current version or at least 1.4.0.

Hope this helps,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2013-07-09 05:26:52)

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2013-07-10 03:54:06

ozjd
Website

A later version will probably not be available for F16 as it is well past EOL. Updating to a current version if Fedora will get you 4.10 and the latest of everything.

#6 2013-07-10 04:41:01

John_Jason_Jordan

MountainDewManiac wrote:

I did some searching. I suspect that you might be using an old version of the xfce4-places-plugin. Please check (you can find out by running Synaptic Package Manager - or whatever package manager your system uses - and typing xfce4-places-plugin) to see if you are using a version older than 1.4.0. The current version is 1.5, but a bug that fits your description was patched in 1.4.0.

Ah. There's the problem. I have 1.2.0. To get a newer version I'd have to update Fedora, which is not possible right now. So I'm stuck, but at least now I know what the problem is. Thanks for the information!  smile

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer