Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#26 2013-08-01 13:08:38

fixitmanarizona

Re: The 2 things xfce **REALLY** needs to impliment.

1) LXMenuEditor
2) No clue. Don't use them.

#27 2013-08-03 03:03:44

Rayonant

the_file wrote:

I really appreciate the whole effort of xfce and its only getting better, but 2 critical things really are missing.

1. A built in method for changing the applications menu via a gui.
2. A real xrandr solution.

To address these issues is really quite simple.

1. Fork the gnome menu editor called "alacarte" and strip everything gnome specific, add a link to the xfsettings UI and problem solved, and solved really well.

2. For xfce 4.12 there is a SIG to implement the windows method of using external monitors and displays. I REALLY like it, it is something that is well designed, however it is not enough for the corner cases many DO HAVE on gnu, many people will still have overscaning and underscanning issues especially with HDMI, which the UI that 4.12 will implement will NOT solve. To resolve this issue simply fork "arandr" and implement it into xfsettings and problem solved.

If you want to post any criticisms please make it constructive, keep up the good work.

1) There is Alacarte, LXMenu, Menulibre

2) There is ArandR, and if you like it simple the upcoming Xfce 4.12 has this
Captura_de_pantalla_020813_22_02_24.png

Which I am already using and  found quite useful for my needs.

Last edited by Rayonant (2013-08-03 03:04:37)

#28 2013-08-08 04:46:48

the_file

Rayonant wrote:
the_file wrote:

I really appreciate the whole effort of xfce and its only getting better, but 2 critical things really are missing.

1. A built in method for changing the applications menu via a gui.
2. A real xrandr solution.

To address these issues is really quite simple.

1. Fork the gnome menu editor called "alacarte" and strip everything gnome specific, add a link to the xfsettings UI and problem solved, and solved really well.

2. For xfce 4.12 there is a SIG to implement the windows method of using external monitors and displays. I REALLY like it, it is something that is well designed, however it is not enough for the corner cases many DO HAVE on gnu, many people will still have overscaning and underscanning issues especially with HDMI, which the UI that 4.12 will implement will NOT solve. To resolve this issue simply fork "arandr" and implement it into xfsettings and problem solved.

If you want to post any criticisms please make it constructive, keep up the good work.

1) There is Alacarte, LXMenu, Menulibre

2) There is ArandR, and if you like it simple the upcoming Xfce 4.12 has this
http://s22.postimg.org/8vwv0it01/Captur … _02_24.png

Which I am already using and  found quite useful for my needs.

It is a good thing that the devs are trying to make a solution for people with multiple monitors, HOWEVER arandr does MORE than just give you a few buttons. Infact it alows you to fine tune the outputs per monitor if clipping occurs. The current solution that xfce is going to implement does not deal with clipping or out of place outputs, which might happen with various hdmi outputs.

Board footer