Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-11 08:27:26

gnome_refugee

Open panel launcher from keyboard

I'm running Xfce 4.8 and I have a panel launcher made up as a drop-down menu to launch various commands.

When I click on the launcher icon, the menu drops down and I can then select a menu entry using the keyboard: up and down arrows to highlight an item, Enter to select it.

Is there a way to (a) select the launcher icon on the panel using the keyboard and then (b) open a drop-down launcher menu using the keyboard, or are both of these strictly mouse-controlled?

Suggestions welcome!

#2 2013-08-14 15:10:23

stqn

Re: Open panel launcher from keyboard

Maybe you could use zenity to create a popup list in a script (and set a keyboard shortcut for it)… However it’s not perfect currently as just pressing return does not actually return the currently selected item; it looks like it’s selecting cancel instead. I have to press tab tab return to select something with the keyboard.
Of course I suppose someone could submit a patch to zenity; that doesn’t seem hard to fix.

https://help.gnome.org/users/zenity/stable/list.html.en

#3 2013-08-14 21:32:25

gnome_refugee

Re: Open panel launcher from keyboard

Many thanks, stqn. I actually already use zenity for a pop-up list of regularly-used files, so it would be easy enough to set my script up that way. Just wondered if I could use the panel launchers the same way...

Board footer