Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-08-13 04:30:43

John_Jason_Jordan

Alacarte bug?

I started using Xfce a couple years ago on Fedora. At that time there was no real Xfce menu editor, although there were workarounds. A Fedora dist-upgrade messed me up so bad that I wiped it out and installed Xubuntu 12.04. I was delighted to find that it came with Alacarte, and it actually works.

So today I was using Alacarte to clean up the menus. After deleting a lot of unused entries, moving stuff around to alphabetize them, and other activity, I closed Alacarte. When I clicked on the Xfce icon to look at applications imagine my horror at discovering that some folders have all but one or two items deleted. For example, the System folder now has only Dolphin, Thunar and Virtualbox. Previously it had all kinds of system utilties.

1) Should I report this as a bug? Where?

2) I can probably put things back, but I don't remember what was in the folders in the first place. The folders with lots of missing items are System and Settings, Can someone please tell me what items are in these folders in a default Xubuntu install?

Linguistics on Linux!

#2 2013-08-13 05:29:36

ToZ
Administrator

Re: Alacarte bug?

1) If you can replicate it, then yes, create a bug report.

2) alacarte should have a "Revert" or "Restore system configuration" button, that restores everything back to its defaults. Try using that. Otherwise, the edited menu file is located at $HOME/.config/menus/xfce-applications.menu. You can either change it or simply delete it to restore back to the system default (which I believe for Xubuntu is located at /etc/xdg/xdg-xubuntu/menus/).

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#3 2013-08-18 22:45:45

pressanykey

XFCE Main Menu editor has a "Restore System Configuration" button lower right.

Click it to undo what you did.

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#4 2013-08-19 01:21:51

MountainDewManiac

pressanykey wrote:

XFCE Main Menu editor has a "Restore System Configuration" button lower right.

What is "XFCE Main Menu editor?" Is it better than Alacarte?

Regards,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

How to Ask for Help <=== Click on this link

#5 2013-08-20 01:14:15

pressanykey

I right click on the (xfce) Main Menu icon and select properties (rather than left click on the icon to display the menu).

Then I click the Edit Menu button (under the Menu File heading where "Use the default menu" selection is checked) which displays a Main Menu window that you can use to edit your menu OR click its Restore System Configuration button.

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#6 2013-08-20 01:23:23

pressanykey

Oh, yeah. I also (because I'm nostalgic) add (2) Application Menu applets to my panel.

The first Application Menu applet (in its properties) I give a button title of XFCE with the famous xfce icon. And I select "Use the default menu" under the Menu File heading.

The second Application Menu applet (in its properties) I give a button title of Debian with the famous debian swirl icon. And I select "Use custom menu file" under the Menu File heading. I click the "Menu File:" button (None) and navigate to /etc/xdg/menus and select debian-menu.menu.

I guess just for fun..

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#7 2013-08-20 01:26:03

pressanykey

And, I don't think Alacarte works well with Xfce 4.10? I haven't had much luck with it. But you really don't need Alacarte to edit Xfce's menu..

Ok, I'm done smile

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#8 2013-08-20 04:07:49

MountainDewManiac

pressanykey wrote:

I right click on the (xfce) Main Menu icon and select properties (rather than left click on the icon to display the menu).

Then I click the Edit Menu button (under the Menu File heading where "Use the default menu" selection is checked) which displays a Main Menu window that you can use to edit your menu OR click its Restore System Configuration button.

Oh. I don't have that. sad

screenshot-08202013-120620am.php

Regards,
MDM

Last edited by MountainDewManiac (2013-08-20 04:08:33)

Mountain Dew Maniac

#9 2013-08-20 10:46:02

ToZ
Administrator

MountainDewManiac wrote:
pressanykey wrote:

Oh. I don't have that. sad

http://www.zimagez.com/miniature/screenshot-08202013-120620am.php

Regards,
MDM

Do you have alacarte installed? In my experience, when I install alacarte, the "Edit Menu" button appears.

Please remember to mark your thread [SOLVED] to make it easier for others to find
--- How To Ask For Help | FAQ | Developer Wiki  |  Community | Contribute ---

#10 2013-08-20 15:43:40

MountainDewManiac

No. Oh, I (think I) understand now.

Thanks for the clarification,
MDM

Mountain Dew Maniac

#11 2013-08-20 23:12:27

pressanykey

Crud, I have Alacarte installed. I'm probably wrong and in fact probably need Alacarte installed for that edit menu button. My bad..

Good job you guys clarifying all of this smile

Xfce 4.12
Manjaro 0.8.12 (x86_64)

#12 2013-08-27 00:25:42

Sideburns
Website

Before opening a new bug, you might want to check here and see if what you're experiencing is one of the 24 currently-open bugs for alacarte: https://bugzilla.redhat.com/buglist.cgi … id=1650901

For those of you not using Fedora, you might want to check your own distro's bugzilla as well.

Registered Linux user #470359
Permanently recovered BOFH
Any advice in this post is worth exactly what you paid for it.

#13 2013-12-10 02:16:51

John_Jason_Jordan

It's been a long time since I visited this thread because eventually I got my problems with Xubuntu 12.04 fixed, but now I have a brand new computer with Xubuntu 13.10, Xfce 4.10, and editing menus is not working as it should.

I created a new menu entry while in the Graphics folder and the menu editor (Alacarte, from the Settings Editor window) put the new entry in Other. I tried to drag it from Other to Graphics, but drag and drop from folder to folder doesn't work, although it did work in Alacarte on Xfce 4.8 on Xubuntu 12.04 - I just checked on the old computer and you can definitely drag and drop items from folder to folder. I also created other new menu entries in various folders and Alacarte always puts them in Other regardless of what folder I am in.

I tried lxmed, and it works, and it has an option to specify the folder for a menu item when editing the item's properties, but it does not see the Other folder, so I can't use it to move my new entries to their proper folders.

Has the ability to move items to other folders been removed from Alacarte? Or am I doing something wrong? How do I create a new entry and have it appear in a specific folder?

Linguistics on Linux!

Board footer