Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-08 21:12:56

epsilon0

[Solved] Switch workspaces in two dimensions

I have XFCE configured with nine workspaces, which are displayed in Workspace Switcher in three rows of three. I have disabled workspace switching with the scrool wheel, and the ability to move a window or the mouse pointer to an adjacent workshpace by crossing the workspace edge. I have Ctrl-up, Ctrl-down, Ctrl-left and Ctrl-right bound to commands to switch to a workspace in the corresponding direction (keys are bound to `(up|down|left|right)_workspace_key', under xfwm4->custom in kxfe4-keyboard-shortcuts).

With this arrangement XFWM treats the workspaces as a single row on nine workspaces. Ctrl-up and Ctrl-down have no effect, and Ctrl-left and Ctrl-right move between workspaces in order 1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 4 <-> 5 <-> 6 <-> 7 <-> 8 <-> 9 <-> 1.

How can I configure XFWM to treat the workspaces as three rows of three, with horizontal and vertical navigation? I want Ctrl-left and Ctrl-right to switch between workspaces within a row, wrapping within the row at the ends (ie, switching within three groups, 1 <-> 2 <-> 3 <-> 1, 4 <-> 5 <-> 6 <-> 4, and 7 <-> 8 <-> 9 <-> 7), and for Ctrl-up and Ctrl-down to do the same for the columns (groups 1 <-> 4 <-> 7 <-> 1, 2 <-> 5 <-> 8 <-> 2, and 3 <-> 6 <-> 9 <-> 3).

I am using an up-to-date version on Arch Linux, which includes XFCE 4.10.

#2 2013-09-08 22:20:22

ToZ

Re: [Solved] Switch workspaces in two dimensions

Here is a script you can use (requires wmctrl):

#!/bin/bash

#get the current workspace
CURRENT=$(($(wmctrl -d | grep "*" | cut -d' ' -f1)+1))

#the workspace movement logic
case $CURRENT in
	1)	LEFT=3; RIGHT=2; UP=7; DOWN=4;;
	2)	LEFT=1; RIGHT=3; UP=8; DOWN=5;;
	3)	LEFT=2; RIGHT=1; UP=9; DOWN=6;;
	4)	LEFT=6; RIGHT=5; UP=1; DOWN=7;;
	5)	LEFT=4; RIGHT=6; UP=2; DOWN=8;;
	6)	LEFT=5; RIGHT=4; UP=3; DOWN=9;;
	7)	LEFT=9; RIGHT=8; UP=4; DOWN=1;;
	8)	LEFT=7; RIGHT=9; UP=5; DOWN=2;;
	9)	LEFT=8; RIGHT=7; UP=6; DOWN=3;;
esac

#move to new workspace
case $1 in
	left)	$(wmctrl -s $(($LEFT-1)));;
	right)	$(wmctrl -s $(($RIGHT-1)));;
	up)  	$(wmctrl -s $(($UP-1)));;
	down)	$(wmctrl -s $(($DOWN-1)));;
esac

Create keyboard shortcuts to the script sending the parameters left, right, up, down as required.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#3 2013-09-08 23:09:57

epsilon0

Thanks for the quick response, and the idea of writing a script using `wmctrl'. I rewrote the script so that it can be configured to work for any number of rows or columns.

#!/bin/bash

#
# Switch to workspace left, right, up, or down from current for
# workspaces arranged in `$num_rows' rows and `$num_cols'
# columns. Wraps around within the current row for left and right and
# within the current column for up and down.
#
# Usage: switch-workspace (left|right|up|down)
#

# Configuration
num_rows=3 ;
num_cols=3 ;

# Workspaces are numbered 0 .. $num_rows*$num_cols-1.

current=$( wmctrl -d | grep "*" | cut -d ' ' -f 1 ) ;

row=$(( $current / $num_cols )) ;
col=$(( $current % $num_cols )) ;

case $1 in
  left)
    col=$(( ( $col + $num_cols - 1 ) % $num_cols )) ;
  ;;
  right)
    col=$(( ( $col + 1 ) % $num_cols )) ;
  ;;
  up)
    row=$(( ( $row + $num_rows - 1 ) % $num_rows )) ;
  ;;
  down)
    row=$(( ( $row + 1 ) % $num_rows )) ;
  ;;
esac ;

wmctrl -s $(( $row * $num_cols + $col )) ;

I set up keyboard shortcuts to call this script, and everything works fine.

#4 2013-09-09 00:24:12

ToZ

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.

How To Ask For Help           Xfce FAQ                            Xfce Release Information
The Xfce Community          Xfce Tips and Tricks

#5 2014-02-23 05:51:16

blackbird

Sorry for the necropost... I'm having a similar issue, and didn't want to start a new thread. My issue isn't persistent though - it only occurs on reboot. I generally name my workspaces, and move between them using ctrl+alt+arrow keys. In XFCE 4.8 on Debian 7.4, I set everything up just the way I like it, including the naming of workspaces and giving the switcher 2 rows instead of 1, with a total of 4 workspaces. The shortcut keys work just fine. Reboot, and... suddenly, this no longer works. The switcher LOOKS as if it has 2 rows, but behaves as if all 4 workspaces are in a single row, i.e. ctrl+alt+left or right works, but up or down doesn't, and using left or right moves amongst the workspaces as if they were on one row, workspace 1 thru 4 in order. I have found a temporary workaround - I open the workspace switcher properties dialogue, select and then deselect the "show miniature view" checkbox, and things are back to "normal". But if I reboot (or log out/back in - I'm not sure, I'll try that in a few minutes) the issue returns. So I know the functionality is there, without having to write or use an extra script. Any ideas?

#6 2014-12-02 23:44:22

gregory.0xf0

blackbird wrote:

Sorry for the necropost... I'm having a similar issue, and didn't want to start a new thread. My issue isn't persistent though - it only occurs on reboot. I generally name my workspaces, and move between them using ctrl+alt+arrow keys. In XFCE 4.8 on Debian 7.4, I set everything up just the way I like it, including the naming of workspaces and giving the switcher 2 rows instead of 1, with a total of 4 workspaces. The shortcut keys work just fine. Reboot, and... suddenly, this no longer works. The switcher LOOKS as if it has 2 rows, but behaves as if all 4 workspaces are in a single row, i.e. ctrl+alt+left or right works, but up or down doesn't, and using left or right moves amongst the workspaces as if they were on one row, workspace 1 thru 4 in order. I have found a temporary workaround - I open the workspace switcher properties dialogue, select and then deselect the "show miniature view" checkbox, and things are back to "normal". But if I reboot (or log out/back in - I'm not sure, I'll try that in a few minutes) the issue returns. So I know the functionality is there, without having to write or use an extra script. Any ideas?

That looks like https://bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=10229

Board footer