Xfce Forum

Sub domains

You are not logged in.

#1 2013-09-20 05:53:14

Stanislao

Do not have the PulseAudio applet, do I need it?

Running a modified version of Fedora 19 on a Fujitsu Lifebook T Series. Fedora was not installed with Xfce, I used yum to get it. Apparently I did not get everything, as the PulseAudio volume control applet is missing. This also happened on my previous install, my attempts to fix the problem by uninstalling and re-installing PulseAudio somehow took out GDM and screwed up X. I have no intention of doing that again.

But now I find myself in the same predicament. No volume control applet. This does not appear to be much of a problem at the moment, however. I can presently adjust volume through the keyboard. My internal microphone appears to be working correctly, and my built-in speakers switch off when I plug something into the TRS out jack. Not sure if I really need the applet.

On the other hand, the last time I went to a record store and copied some records (yes, I paid) I had to use the applet extensively to avoid an obnoxious hum. The problem was caused, I think, by the speakers playing what the TRS cable from the record player had sent, while Audacity tried to use the same jack. I got the audio, and a bunch of noise that was significantly louder than the blues I was trying to record.

#2 2013-09-21 02:50:15

ozjd
Website

Re: Do not have the PulseAudio applet, do I need it?

Pulseaudio Volume Control does give finer control and allows the selection of input and output devices. It is part of the Xfce spin live cd but, like a number of system tools,  not included with the desktop. You can easily install it with  (as root or with sudo if it is set up) 'yum instal pavucontrol'.

Board footer